Mini Spool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I rear through FastOrange's mini spool thread, and didn't really see what I wanted to see.

I'm on a tight budget, I drive 35 miles to work 1 way so I spend half my check on gas at the moment, of course that's a different premise..

I'm tired of getting stuck in my driveway every time I pull in and having to click 4hi and dealing with some small actuator problems, well since I mentioned it, I might as well speculate for the time being..

Here's a scenario, I'll be driving along going 55-60 mph, I realize it's getting pretty slick, I click 4hi, it does a tiny clunk and engages right away, okay, well I get to the gas station for example, click it back in 2hi, the 2hi light will come on, but I'll still be in 4hi, until I shut the truck off, go in, come out and start the truck back up... Then i'll be in 2hi.. Sometimes if I am at a light and click back to 2hi it will go in..

So basically actuator wont disengage from 4hi to 2hi sometimes while moving. I always let off accelerator when doing any switches from 2hi to 4hi, and ALWAYS stopped in neutral when doing 4lo.

SOOO back to the spool, I want both of my rear wheels to always spin like a locker would, without the high cost of getting a locker.

I know there will be chirping when turning, I don't care, as long as the turning and chirping doesn't break anything in the rear end.

DISCUSS

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
With the bigger tires you have there wont be chirping, there will be breaking though. The reason the tires chirp is because in a turn the outside tire needs to move faster than the inside. If that tire wont chirp you will break something. Its not any different then welding the spider gears in your rear end. Also in snow you will run the chance of having understeer in 2wd because you will pretty much have a live axle.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
IMHO, stay away from the Mini Spool, your gonna chew up your tire to hell or break something, its the same reasons im going with a Powertrax Locker, they can be had for about $300 on eBay.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IMHO, stay away from the Mini Spool, your gonna chew up your tire to hell or break something, its the same reasons im going with a Powertrax Locker, they can be had for about $300 on eBay.

this

the lockright lockers are about the cheapest and easier locker to put in, goes inplace of the spider gears and works just like any other locker, but for alot less

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
this

the lockright lockers are about the cheapest and easier locker to put in, goes inplace of the spider gears and works just like any other locker, but for alot less

Yup, basically it installs like a MiniSpool. but its a locker.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep

im ordering mine soon when i order my 4.56 gears, then should be much more capable

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The one thing with the lock-rite you need an open carrier, so make sure you dont have a worn out G80 back there. I've been running a lock-rite locker in my 14B for a couple years now and no problems at all. It does unlock well when off the gas to go around turns, but locks up all the time when wanted. When new with my claws it would chip when doing a sharp turn and on the gas but with the pitbulls I rarely hear any noise.
You must be registered for see images attach

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
I have a 10 bolt 3.73 gears, its an open diff, can someone link me to a lockright locker for this application?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
The one thing with the lock-rite you need an open carrier, so make sure you dont have a worn out G80 back there. I've been running a lock-rite locker in my 14B for a couple years now and no problems at all. It does unlock well when off the gas to go around turns, but locks up all the time when wanted. When new with my claws it would chip when doing a sharp turn and on the gas but with the pitbulls I rarely hear any noise.
You must be registered for see images attach

looks good, was it hard to install?