metallic rattling noise, ac compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dustin83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe that is where this noise is coming from. Its not always there however. Is this just a bearing that can be replaced? Please say its cheap, I've sunk over 500 dollars into this truck in a month already. I still need a new battery and shocks!

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
could be the clutch on the ac....

and pshhh.... 500 bucks in a month?? in the last month, i have dropped over 2grand in mine...

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
easy way to check, is when you turn it on, and you hear the noise, take a can of wd40, and soak down the clutch assembly... i did that on a regular basis on my s10..

Reaction score
how difficult is this part to replace?

I've yet to do mine, waiting till it warms up being I can't get my truck into the garage. I bought a GM dealer service manual, I'll go through the replacement procedure and post it up in the next day or 2. Also if I can stop by my mechanic buddies shop I'll ask him about it.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
You might can check the belt tensioner pulley as well. I had one that the bearings went out on and locked up on me. Just something to check that doesn't cost anything to check. Plus if it is that, those pulleys are cheap.

Chevrolet Fanatic

GM Leg Humper
Reaction score
I had to replace my entire AC compressor when mine started to make noise. It started out as a noise at first, then started to leak coolant. I had it replaced at a local place and it cost me around $800 if I remember correctly.

You might can check the belt tensioner pulley as well. I had one that the bearings went out on and locked up on me. Just something to check that doesn't cost anything to check. Plus if it is that, those pulleys are cheap.

Had to replace mine a few times, and they definitely make a horrible damn noise when they seize up.

The WD-40 method works pretty good, it helped me pinpoint the problem in both scenarios above, the ac compressor and then the tensioner pulley.