Metal bending help/advice PLEASE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I got the front lower crossmember off today and found some damage. I need some advice from people with experience badly. I don't want to hear that I should just by a new truck, I want to fix this.

The head of the bolt that holds the front lower crossmemer in the photo is bent upward slightly. In the other photo I put part of the crossmemer in so you can see how it is bent backwards. It needs to be vertical.

My plan is to use jacks somehow to put a lot of pressure on it then get the metal red hot and see if I can get it straight. My other thought is to remover the rear crossmemer so I have room to hit the piece of crossmember that hangs down back forward. Or use a bottle jack against the rear crossmemer to force the front one straight. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for the help!
You must be registered for see images attach

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Honestly man. I dont know if this would work, but my friend's car jack in his trunk appears to be small enough to wedge into there. Ask some friends with sedan's or cars if you can see their jack, and see if it will fit between there. I think that would be a good start. if worse comes to worse you might have to find a scrap frame section and weld it on

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Good idea, I will need to take out the steering box to get access for the jack to push on the frame. I'm hoping if I get it red hot it will bend.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
Good idea, I will need to take out the steering box to get access for the jack to push on the frame. I'm hoping if I get it red hot it will bend.

Its not the best idea but i think its worth a try. Be careful with heating it and bending it because you dont want to weaken it, but i wouldnt expect that to happen.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Take it to a shop that cane pull a frame.

It will be done right, within specs and now worries about safety.

Safety while you're doing it, safety when you drive it....:)

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
That would be a last resort as I would need to put it back together all messed up just to get the wheels on to be towed. I really want to attempt to fix this in my driveway.

Osiris94ej

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take it to a shop that cane pull a frame.

It will be done right, within specs and now worries about safety.

Safety while you're doing it, safety when you drive it....:)

This...
I have been where you are before. We straightened out the same area in way or so we thought. The truck wouldn't align right afterwards. We got everything close as we could with a tape and square. We were still way off. Ended up going to a body shop with a frame rack. They pulled and the frame fractured. Threw in the towel and scrapped it. At the very least go have them check how far it is. Chances are its worse than the eyeballs show. There is always option of frame swap.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
That would be a last resort as I would need to put it back together all messed up just to get the wheels on to be towed. I really want to attempt to fix this in my driveway.

Rollback.

Frame shop should have been the first option, not the last.

Not trying to bust your beans, but your frame is tweaked. It needs to be racked and measured...

aarolar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I work with metal for a living and I'm telling you I wouldn't even attempt it with the proper tools much less jacks and torches. Throwing heat on it can cause all kinds of issues and wouldn't be a wise way to go IMO it would be way better to be cold formed back.