Map sensor Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trstrugar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck is a 1994 k1500 with a 5.7l. I am throwing a code for a 33, map sensor voltage high. I tried replacing it, but it made no difference. The truck starts up rough and sputters for about 10 seconds, then it appears to run fine. When I unplugged the sensor it would start up fine, but run extremely rich. I have true dual exhaust and headers, and was running into o2 sensor issues, but after I re wired the IAC valve all the codes I was throwing went away except for map sensor. If anyone can shed some light on this and explain to me what the sensor actually is supposed to do I would appreciate it. TYIA!

LostX

Reaction score
You may have a vacuum leak, can you hear whistling suction sounds when it's running. Does that year have a mass air flow sensor?

livelifewideopen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No mass airflow sensor on that year truck. The map sensor throws codes due to the stumbling, because its sensing the vacuum drop. I had an identical issue on mine, turned out to be a bad cap and rotor. could also very well be a vacuum leak though.

SwatDawg15

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 94 the plug was dry rotten. I replaced with an ACdelco pig tail and it cleared it up. Im betting yours in a vacuum leak somewhere.

LostX

Reaction score
Here is an emissions vacuum diagram for a 94 k1500 5.7l without the air system if you need it. If you have an air system I can grab that one for you.

You must be registered for see images attach

Trstrugar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you I appreciate it! I will start with looking for a vacuum leak and see what I can find. I had also heard that the vacuum modulator on the transmission can sometimes cause weird issues.

Trstrugar

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found the vacuum leak. The map sensor vacuum line was connected incorrectly. I have a new issue now but it is for a different thread. Thank you for the help and diagrams!