MAF sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viper700t

Reaction score
well guys, i have owned this truck for about a year now (98 z71) an when i got the truck the MAF code came up..took it down an they said the sensor must be bad..so i went along with them an they replaced it..2 days later the code comes back on..i take it back in an they said it must be another bad sensor..an at 300 bucks i told them to switch it out with one they know thats good just to see..well a day later the code comes on..so i put the new one back in because i know its not the sensor..so they said it could be a ground..they checked all the grounds..that helped for about a week..so my question is..what could be causing this to be comin on..could it be a ground an what ground would effect the MAF or is it posb wire prob(rub through or somethin)..the truck does act up with a rough idle an sometimes hesitates..so i kinda want to figure this out..so if anyway has any idea what could cause this..it would be great..

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
I am thinking broken wire. I have the same problem with my VSS. The sheath looks fine but the wire is broken or corroded inside. try to trace the wires as far back as possible and check the sheath for cuts or breaks, also check the plug for good connection. Someone else probably knows how to check the wires for breaks under the sheath but i am not sure. Good luck and i hope it is a simple fix.

viper700t

Reaction score
alright thanks, i will start checking wires for breaks...an does anyone know where the ground would be for the MAF??

viper700t

Reaction score
well i checked the wires an it seems to be pretty good..so it must be a ground??..an i smell a raw gass smell when i turn my truck off...im thinking it is coming from the problem with the MAF??..if anyone has feedback..let me know..im sick of seeing that engine light..

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
normally if there are broken wires, a code will come up as a short curcuit, but that isnt 100%, also check to see if your engine 1 fuse is blown in your fuse block, and if your tired of seeing an engine light, do what i did, remove it! ha