lt4 hot cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i got 98 vortec 350 im going to swap to lt4 hot cam im wanting to know whats a good head upgrade?

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
The vortec heads match very well with that cam. If you want though, you could look at the afr 190s.

moremudd

Reaction score
I want to change to the lt4 cam as well but how the hell does a person program the black box to cooperate . It looks like the 0411 swap is dead with out lextech's assistance . I have had no luck getting information on the swap that looks reliable , I'm about ready to sell the truck just so I can have some tuning flexibility in a newer truck .

RedLeader289

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to change to the lt4 cam as well but how the hell does a person program the black box to cooperate . It looks like the 0411 swap is dead with out lextech's assistance . I have had no luck getting information on the swap that looks reliable , I'm about ready to sell the truck just so I can have some tuning flexibility in a newer truck .
heh. . .my gut answer is swap to a carb, then you can tune all you want and with the right set up get comparable gas mileage.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
The black box can be tuned, just not by most of the guys who can tune 0411/late model computers. A carb would work more easily with a stick shift truck (notice I didn't say "standard" :) ) than an automatic because a 4L60E requires computer control, so a carb swap requires a standalone transmission controller.

moremudd

Reaction score
I completely agree , a carb would solve so many problems with this particular truck/pcm combo , I have even considered stepping back to a 1992 so I could do a stand alone pcm swap , but at the moment Texas has us by the balls with the visual inspection plus a obd-2 scan , I'm really hoping to hear from lextech , I would love to switch out the pcm and just make it run right with a tune . My truck is a 1998 K-1500 , 5.7 with the NV-3500 , all stock other than rebuilding the worn out front end , crate engine and lowering it 4 inches so my broke ass back can get in and out of it easier . I only use 4 wheel drive for the bad weather and slick boat ramps anymore .

Last edited: