Lt1 heads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
Search came up with full motor swaps. Lt1 heads on a vortex with stock intake. Do-able? Worth it? Pros or cons?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm not privvy to this "vortex" of which you speak

It's like a vortech, but spelled wronger :D

, but LT1 heads only fit a GenII LT style reverse coolant flow block. Vortec truck heads flow better anyway.

I thought the small block Vortec heads were basically normal coolant flow LT1 heads, but I've never owned either one of them.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
I'm not privvy to this "vortex" of which you speak, but LT1 heads only fit a GenII LT style reverse coolant flow block. Vortec truck heads flow better anyway.

Haha dammit me bein grammar Nazi missed my auto correct changing that. Was pull in a Borg Warner out of a Camaro in middle of typin that. But I do hate the people sayin "it's got the vortex!"

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
It's like a vortech, but spelled wronger :D

I thought the small block Vortec heads were basically normal coolant flow LT1 heads, but I've never owned either one of them.

I do remember now that lt1 is reverse flow. Wonder if there is any difference in ports n such? Hmm... More to be looked into. I'm only askin cuz was just offered an LT1 with aluminum angle plug heads for 200 and throw them heads on my caprice and if possible use the old iron heads from caprice on truck if feasible. @Supercharged111 did I spell that right? Haha

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They bolt right up, but I swear there's a coolant port mismatch that makes the job a royal asspain. Not to mention the flow. Obviously the vortec intake won't bolt to LT1 heads either.

eshaw

Reaction score
More trouble than it's worth. The cooling is different on the heads is the biggest draw back. It can be done and has been. The cast iron version actually flows better than the aluminum version of the heads from what I've read on them and don't quote me but I think both versions raise the compression of the engine to around 10.5:1 or there abouts.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
More trouble than it's worth. The cooling is different on the heads is the biggest draw back. It can be done and has been. The cast iron version actually flows better than the aluminum version of the heads from what I've read on them and don't quote me but I think both versions raise the compression of the engine to around 10.5:1 or there abouts.

Iron LT1 has the same bottom end as the F body, same pistons different cam. The difference in compression comes solely from the smaller combustion chamber in the aluminum version. Iron was 64cc just like the Vortec. Iron does outflow aluminum, so nothing to gain here over a Vortec head.