Lower control arms rubbing on brake rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kasedian

Reaction score
I have a 1993 C1500. Just finished up replacing both sets of control arms, as well as both brake rotors, wheel bearings, tie rods, center link, sway bar bushings, shocks, etc. Took it in yesterday and had it aligned, and it drives great. Nice and tight. I did notice a rubbing sound as I brought it home. Upon further inspection, I found that the ends of the lower control arms are rubbing on the rotor. What's up with that? Did I assemble something wrong? The control arms are Moog, as well as the rest of the parts. The rotors are AC Delco. Has anyone else had this problem? And what should I do to correct it? Thanks

IADC43

Reaction score
I have a vague memory of reading about this. Seems like there are two different lower ball joints, and one is taller than the other. One kind can let it rub like this. Seems to me it is in a discussion about spindle drops. Sorry to not be of much more help though.

kasedian

Reaction score
No pics yet. The ends of the LCAs extend through the slot on the backing plate. They make contact with the rotors when I turn the wheel. What should a comfortable distance be? 1/2"? 1"? Would it be ok to grind down the ends of the LCAs?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It didn't do that before you changed them out I'm guessing.. so something is wrong there.. as far as grinding goes... let's try to help you fix it before you hack it..... waiting on pics...

sent from what use to be a great country...

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wonder if your inner wheel bearing is the wrong one or the race not pressed in correctly. Could possibly be the rotors though. Do you still have the old rotors?

kasedian

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

kasedian

Reaction score
The new rotors came with the races already installed. I used Timken bearings, Set3 and Set5. They came with races, but didnt use them. The bearings seemed to fit fine in the pre-installed races. Also, the castle nut on the hub lined up perfectly with the hole for the cotter key. Im stumped....

kasedian

Reaction score
Ended up grinding down the end of the LCAs. Thanks for all the help guys. This site sucks.