Lower Control Arm Bushing Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
any help for the backyard mechanic, I cant get em in. I brought home Autozones pathetic balljoint/bushing kit, and it was just that, Pathetic. then I made the worst purchase of my life and bought the bigger kit with more options, also basically useless.

I dont do a-arm bushings alot, so any tips, tricks, odd ball ways to do it would be greatly appreciated.

this is for the 2wd 91 dually

did me no favors.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MVGCIE2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
You got the other ones out already? I recently did mine, but I did poly bushings so I left the shells in and just burned out the bushing and sleeve. If you already have the old ones out, and the press tools just don't have enough force to pop them in, you could heat up the control arm with a torch or something hot to expand the metal to make it slide in easier.

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Yeah, to be honest if you don't have a shop press I don't see you getting the bushings in. I've changed the upper bushings in my buddy's 95 Z multiple times and if he didn't have a shop press I don't see how we would of changed them.

But like Justin said, you might be able to use heat, but it would need to get decently hot, putting the bushings in the freezer also might help.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Had to use a mondo press when we installed the poly ones in my '98.
And lots of that supplied grease. I ordered a couple extra small tubes 'cause we did the the whole suspension kit at the same time. Didn't figure the amount in the kit was enough. Good thing, too. The amount with the kit was used just for the 8 uppers & lowers. Slathered it on!
I have the red ones & supposedly they have a tendency to squeek. Mine don't.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
You got the other ones out already? I recently did mine, but I did poly bushings so I left the shells in and just burned out the bushing and sleeve. If you already have the old ones out, and the press tools just don't have enough force to pop them in, you could heat up the control arm with a torch or something hot to expand the metal to make it slide in easier.

I got them all out with a air hammer. i didnt go poly, because at the moment im on a tight budget.

well ****, I was hoping I was missing a easier way to do it.... I dread having a shop do it.... I always get some idiot who does it wrong, last time I had a shop change my oil while I was getting new tires and the guy used channel locks to tighten my oil filter.

will one of those harbor freight presses work?

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
If I didn't work somewhere with a press, I would have spent the $150 on one long ago that's for sure.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always used my balljoint press... works every time.... for mine and all the ones I've done at work for customers...

sent from what use to be a great country...

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
what ball joint press do you have? the kit I have, the c-clamp is too small.

i bought a harbor freight press, used parts from balljoint kit to make it happen.