low oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

koolademan22

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i start my truck in the mornings and my oil pressure is @ 60 psi after warm up it idles at 20 psi while driving my psi is at 40 this problem is racking my brain i just had the oil change

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i start my truck in the mornings and my oil pressure is @ 60 psi after warm up it idles at 20 psi while driving my psi is at 40 this problem is racking my brain i just had the oil change

Rack no more! Your oil pressure is fine.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forget the specs but hot idle oil pressure on these motors can be down to around 8 PSI, I think. It's some stupidly low number, but the point is that having the oil in the twentyish range at hot idle and fortyish going down the highway is perfectly fine. These gauges aren't the most accurate anyway, and as long as you have no metal in the oil and no valvetrain or bottom end noise, you probably have enough pressure. The motor will let you know if it isn't getting enough oil ;)

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
To the OP: Mine is the same way. Around 60 at start-up, about 40 going down the highway, and after it's warm idling at a stop light it'll sit around 15. I thought the same thing....****, something's wrong with my truck!

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To the OP: Mine is the same way. Around 60 at start-up, about 40 going down the highway, and after it's warm idling at a stop light it'll sit around 15. I thought the same thing....****, something's wrong with my truck!

Mine runs about those pressures too, but I also have a nice rod knock at cold start up. I like to think of it as my truck telling me how much she missed me. :rofl:

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score

Haha, I've been kinda thinking the same thing recently...good to know its pretty normal

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^Ha, ha. I don't have a knock, but more of a tick when it's cold.

Mine sounds worse than a early 90's 7.3 non powerstroke diesel when its under 50* outside.

we ran those in the trucks on the rescue squad is how I know....

Edit: I've actually had people ask me in the parking lot at work if its a diesel. :rofl: I usually try to give it a minute before I drive off when its real cold out...

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
No low oil pressure for me... when I rebuilt my motor I put in a high volume oil pump and I run 10w30 synthetic oil.
Cold start up (acording to the guage) is just under 80 psi. Warmed up on highway is about 60 and idle is around 40