Low Beams Only When Steering Wheel is Tilted All the Way Up??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Champ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought a 98 K1500, and like the title says, the low beams only work when you have the steering wheel tilted all the way up. DRLs work fine, and the high beams work no matter what position the steering wheel is in. I was doing some reading and I think that I might have to replace the multifunction switch. Am i on the right track?

Nathaniel2g

Rusty Islander
Reaction score
Before you start throwing parts at it, take your steering column shroud off and check the wiring. Look for ways it could be getting shorted or grounded (ie exposed wire touching metal). With your steering wheel all the way up it is probably relieving pressure or allowing the wire to function normally.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Either way you have to take the steering wheel apart for the multifunction switch. It might possibly be grounded or shorted thinking the switch is on high beams hence not letting the low beams turn on.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The headlight dimmer switch wiring on the 95-up column is very puny. The tilt has probably been used a lot, and the wires have become damaged.

Every time the tilt goes up/down this bundle of wires get flexed:

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Champ

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perfect, thanks for the info guys! Looks like I've got some digging to do to get to the bottom of this.