Lost 3rd/4th gear while on highway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
5 people in the truck, went up the grade by my house into the next city, going 70mph, it downshifted to 3rd, then began to free rev until ~4k rpm, then 2nd gear hit. As soon as it tried to shift out of 2nd into 3rd again, it free rev's.

Had the truck towed home, tranny fluid was below the stick, I added 2 qts to get the level up on the stick again. There's a sound similar to a knock while running now, which I can mainly hear from the drivers side. It drives normally until it tries to shift to 3rd, which just feels like neutral, 4th doesn't work either. But 1st / 2nd the truck drives exactly like before.

`96 tahoe, 4l60e, 115k miles, I replaced both heads/rockers/lifters/pushrods last year.

I scanned for codes, and there are none.

The truck does have a hypertech power programmer on it, with shift firmness enabled.

Time to pull the trans? What broke?

jeff's88silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sounds most likely sunshell or cluches went. Went through same thing with a 700r4.

Time for rebuild

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
thats exactly what happened to me minus the low fluid part. clutches got burnt up so i ordered a new trany since for me it was better to get a gm trany with 3 year/100,000 mile warranty vs rebuild with 1 year/36,000 mile waranty. the cost difference was a couple hundered dollars. also if when you checked your fluid and it smells burnt is a dead give away