Loose wheel bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1997 2wd chevy silverado ext cab 4" RC lift spindles

I bought new slotted rotors from R1concepts about a year ago, installed them with all new parts. I noticed a few days ago the wheels had some slop in them so I changed out the seals and bearings . Two days later the drivers side was a little sloppy so I tightened her up . But I did not notice the cotter pin/nut the first time I installed these rotors. I'm beginning to think they sent me the wrong rotors? By that I mean the cotter pin barely fits in the slot. Here are some pics of everything.
You must be registered for see images attach

top of the spindle.

bottom of the spindle.

bearings just wanted to show the wear.

I'm actually thinking of just buying another set of stock rotors, i did knock the cotter pin inside the slots with a hammer and punch . But I don't ever remember having to do that on these trucks before.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Silly question but I can't tell due to the grease in the pics: do you have the thick washer that goes between the nut and the outer bearing? Because it looks like that's missing.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK, honestly looked to be missing in the pic. I guess you could get by with stacking a pair of those washers, should take up enough space to get the cotter pin lined up with the hole better.

Would be interesting to take careful measurement from a stock set of spindles to see where the hole lines up in relation to the seat of the inner bearing.

Richard

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, honestly looked to be missing in the pic. I guess you could get by with stacking a pair of those washers, should take up enough space to get the cotter pin lined up with the hole better.

Would be interesting to take careful measurement from a stock set of spindles to see where the hole lines up in relation to the seat of the inner bearing.

Richard

I was thinking of doing that, I have a set of stock spindles.....

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
To those other than Steve - you had to stack washers on...STOCK spindles? I've never seen that, ever, and I've had rotors off a lot of fullsize GM stuff. Hell, I haven't even had to do it on BellTech or DJM drop spindles. Steve's are the first I've seen it, really.

I wonder if some of this is coming down to using the spindles for HD brakes (JB6) and rotors for non-HD (JB5) brakes? The non-HD rotor is 1" vs. 1.25" thick and uses a spindle with a shorter axle. I've never intentionally tried mixing these parts, wouldn't assume they would work at all, it just got me wondering.

Richard

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To those other than Steve - you had to stack washers on...STOCK spindles? I've never seen that, ever, and I've had rotors off a lot of fullsize GM stuff. Hell, I haven't even had to do it on BellTech or DJM drop spindles. Steve's are the first I've seen it, really.

I wonder if some of this is coming down to using the spindles for HD brakes (JB6) and rotors for non-HD (JB5) brakes? The non-HD rotor is 1" vs. 1.25" thick and uses a spindle with a shorter axle. I've never intentionally tried mixing these parts, wouldn't assume they would work at all, it just got me wondering.

Richard

Remember that these are Rough country 4" lift spindles , I've had Western Chassis drop spindles and stock spindles and never seen this before....I'm wondering if they sent me spindles for a 88-92 truck since they changed rotors in 93 to fit both Ext/Reg cab pick ups..... come to think of it, I'm getting old but if I remember correctly I put a tape on the rotor and it measured from outside edge to outside edge 1"

I will go check it again just out of curiosity. .....

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Much better too long than too short. You can always shim it a little like stated above with another washer.