Looking for opinions/pics of HIRs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
From what I've been reading the Phillips ones aren't much better than normal halogens. Not enough to justify the extra price anyway. Every thread I find is a few years old though (2011-12)...

That is what I have found as well, which is why I posted this topic. I few say they are amazing, but the majority of users says it's only slightly better than halogen. I had thought I seen a post at one point (on this forum) of someone who had them and pics, but I can't find it now. I recall them being really bright. Someone should guinea pig (I don't have the cash to be wastin, or I would).

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
A set of 2 Sylvannia Ultra's costs me $65.00, locally.
A bulb with 'somewhat', 'slightly', 'sorta' better output for $50.00 is fine by me!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A very important difference between current HIR's and the halogens in our trucks is the 9006 halogen low beam has a black coating over the tip of the capsule; the HIR's do not - just like aftermarket HID's. What exact effect this has on the light output is beyond me as I won't pretend to be an expert, but it SEEMS it would be wise to only use them in a housing that has a "glare cap" as part of the design, like TYC Elegante housings have.

OK, to reply to myself, if anyone cares - this is straight from the Candlepower store's website discussing the 9012 HIR (which you would use to replace a 9006 halogen low beam) -

"Like all previous HIR2 bulbs, it does not have a blacked-out tip, which means it should not be used in road going headlamp or fog lamp designs that don't have a bulb shield completely covering at least the top half of the front of the bulb — a ring-style bulb shield that leaves the front of the bulb exposed to the lens is usually not sufficient."

So there ya have it...

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That is what I have found as well, which is why I posted this topic. I few say they are amazing, but the majority of users says it's only slightly better than halogen. I had thought I seen a post at one point (on this forum) of someone who had them and pics, but I can't find it now. I recall them being really bright. Someone should guinea pig (I don't have the cash to be wastin, or I would).

I'm a big baller, what the hell :D so I just ordered a set from Candlepower. In fact I did the special to get all 4 - low and high beams, hunnert bucks. Will be able to post pics comparing them to DDM 35W 5000K HID's, TYC Elegante housings.

Richard

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a big baller, what the hell :D so I just ordered a set from Candlepower. In fact I did the special to get all 4 - low and high beams, hunnert bucks. Will be able to post pics comparing them to DDM 35W 5000K HID's, TYC Elegante housings.

Richard

Nice, I'll be waiting very interested to see the difference.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
^^^ What he said. Thanks SOG. Just looked at the special - It specifically states that you are getting third gen on the HIR2's, but does not state so on the HIR1's. 3rd gen philips are supposed to be better/brighter then the 2nd gen toshibas.

BigandTall

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Richard

You talking about this set?http://store.candlepower.com/fcorespcob22.html If so, I'll be ordering a set for myself. I just want to make sure I'm getting the correct part numbers.

I'm looking to replace my old and oxidized housings with a new set-most likely from LMC. Part number 37-4605 has the cap over the tip of the bulb along with a clear lens and chrome reflector. I'll most likely use them along with a set of the matching clear turn signal housings.