Long Clutch Pedal Travel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marisa Jean

Reaction score
I have an '88 Chevy C1500 5.7L manual trans. I recently replaced the Clutch, flywheel, slave, hydraulic line and clutch master cylinder as this truck is new to me and was basically a bag of crap when I got it.

Everything was running real nice but I started to get a leak on the seam of my clutch master cylinder reservoir so i got a warranty replacment on it and then shortly after I started having issues where it was hard to get into gear unless i rev match like i wasnt using the clutch pedal at all. It seemed like another hydraulic issue to me as i had all new parts and still had black stuff in reservoir. So I ordered a LUK clutch master cylinder which had a different setup and changed out the slave as well to factor out all hydraulic issues.

Well it definitely fixed the rough time getting it into gear, but i now have a super long travel on the clutch pedal and it shifts right off the floor (which makes sense it would engage off the floor as i have a clutch with only 1k miles on it). However I would like to adjust the travel if possible to make it not so long as i am only 5'3" woman and it's tough getting that pedal that far down. Is there any way to do that with exsisting pushrod?

I am fairly certain i got all air out and it is very firm once it travels down to about 3/4 the distance of the pedal travel. The first 3/4 though has zero resistance. I also tried taking the pin out and reattaching the pushrod to the clutch pedal but it didnt make any difference. Any ideas?