liquid head gasket repair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
was looking in the parts store the other day and saw a few products for leaky head gaskets
you have to drain all antifreeze and dump this stuff in, and its supposed to fix your gaskets
anyone try this before
i know im losing water somewhere, sometimes its from the heater on the inside passenger side, but i also have white stuff in my oil
i want to replace engine, but would this product be a decent quick temporary fix, or not worth it
seems they have some for $20 all the way up to $60 or so

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
they say they guarantee the more expensive one to seal all leaks but i dont know never seen it used

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
dont, i have seen many times what that stuff can do

tends to clog up just about every part of the cooling system including inside the motor, better just to get it fixed the right way instead of having to replacing everything later on

Reaction score
I agree with squeaky... Just fix it the correct way.

Depending on the mileage and problem it maybe better just completely change out the engine. If your doing it yourself of course.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
headgaskets are pretty simple to do on these trucks, can be done in a weekend with some tools and beers

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
maybe that would make more sense until i can save some loot and redo the whole engine, looks like the gaskets dont cost any more then that liquid stuff anyway
i mean the rear seal leaks too, but thats not as big of a deal

Wwildman

Reaction score
Head gasket in a can is a quick fix to sell a pos . I would not use it at all I have worked on vehicles that I have had to replace everything with the cooling system after people use it . I pulled a radiator out of a 00 Z71 with a leaky water pump the had to weigh about 40 pounds full of that crap

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i still cant figure it out, i swear, sometimes, i'll check, and the oil looks normal, sometimes it doesnt, it almost seems like its worse if i have too much water in the overflow, and i'll lose water quicker then, but if i have only a little in, it will be fine for a week or 2, but if i fill it up it drops quick

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
k 1500
any idea what that would cost at a shop?
cheapest home pressure tester i saw was still 75, does look like you can make your own though