Limp mode question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you post the connector in a closeup? The photo looks out of focus...someone here will know what it's for.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that when the truck is actually in limp mode there should also be like 6 transmission codes, I thought I was missing something but couldnt figure it out. ya you will also have a check engine light with like 6 tranny codes. I dont think you were in limp mode though based on the one code you had. (not sure what it's for as I didnt look it up.)

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you post the connector in a closeup? The photo looks out of focus...someone here will know what it's for.

Funny thing...Actually , since I took that photo the wire got caught up in the belt and the connecter got ripped off and I couldn't find it.

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that when the truck is actually in limp mode there should also be like 6 transmission codes, I thought I was missing something but couldnt figure it out. ya you will also have a check engine light with like 6 tranny codes. I dont think you were in limp mode though based on the one code you had. (not sure what it's for as I didnt look it up.)

I took the truck out for the first time on the roads, not just on my street. The SES light is still not on and it actually ran well. Has power, and shifted through the gears great.

Next on my list is to replace the cats. They look original so I'm just gonna replace them if any one has any suggestions.

Also when I applied the brakes it pulled hard to the passenger side so ill need to check that out.

For the most part I'm pretty pleased. $2500 for the truck and a snow plow.. not to bad. And the new distributor and new cat back pipes and muffler was in the bed but never put on.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's why your truck is in limp mode! That sensor is not connected! LOL

Edit: Why are you replacing cats? There's no indication that they are failing, or did I miss that?

Brakes? Yes, those need some work

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just thought it might be a good idea to replace cats since they are so old and might flow better.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just thought it might be a good idea to replace cats since they are so old and might flow better.

No need to do that. I've got 4 of these trucks with 168k, 206k, 240k and 260k. As far as I know, all still have factory, stock cats. What kills the cats is running the engine extremely rich, I think (or lean?) Just keep the engine running without CEL related to air/fuel or O2 problems is what I'm saying. If they fail, then you replace them. They are really expensive anyway!

98k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need to do that. I've got 4 of these trucks with 168k, 206k, 240k and 260k. As far as I know, all still have factory, stock cats. What kills the cats is running the engine extremely rich, I think (or lean?) Just keep the engine running without CEL related to air/fuel or O2 problems is what I'm saying. If they fail, then you replace them. They are really expensive anyway!

Your logic makes total sense. I'll keep them for now and work on the brakes.

Thanks everyone for the help and advice. Makes working on this truck a lot easier. I appreciate it.