Let's get this thing Done!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lamez

Reaction score
Bought this truck back in Feburary 14 and it has sat until about 2 months ago when I started tearing into the motor. (96 K1500 5.7L /w 212k on it)

Bought it for cheap knowing it had a spun bearing in the bottom end. Figured I could drop a couple grand and get a truck with 170k miles on it or buy dirt cheap rebuild and have a fresh motor. I've pulled motors out and thrown them back in but never actually rebuilt one but it sounded like a fun process/something new I could learn.

After I purchased the truck I was able to find an ARE truck cap for it pretty cheap. Granted I should have done motor work first but it was a good deal. Damn Craigslist and it's "I can't afford not to deals." My end game is to use it as a work truck so it's all good!

So with the acutal work, I have the engine down to the block removed. Just picked up an engine hoist and a balancer so that should be coming out soon enough as well. Going to get a spider rebuild kit and try that in the mean time. Dropped the heads off at the machine shop luckily not cracked but going to get resurfaced and a new valve job done on them. Will be a slow rebuild process but just happy to see it starting to progress now.

Any comments are welcome, but figured i'd start up on here to see if you guys have any insight on the whole rebuild process and what i should watch out for or try. Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Cool truck, and cool plan, i'm doing a similar thing lol.

Are you planning to rebuild the poppet's? I know budgets are what they are, but IMO, I wouldn't do anything but an MPFI spider in one of these trucks.

lamez

Reaction score
Yep yep! doing that and going through with the o-rings/cleaning and all. Most likely will take a bunch of pictures of the process. Figure if I can give back to the forums and help atleast than I did my part. Did a couple write ups for older BMW's got into the whole E30 thing like 10 years back. Just hard to do work out of an old BMW. :)

Thanks for the support!

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Nice work truck. Couple fender flare to hide that rust and you'll be good to go. Once it's up and running of course

lamez

Reaction score
Sometimes somethings comes in the mail that are not a bills,... sometimes,...

Anyone use this one before? any good?

You must be registered for see images attach