L31R Install And Fired 98 Chevrolet K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Been awhile since I have posted and I thought I would get some feedback on a couple of questions.

So the engine is in, fired up and break in done, and have done the required doughnuts on the Highway. Minor upgrades done, empty converters, two and a half in out Flowmaster super 44 mufflers, 4 new 02 sensors because, EGR blocked off, minor intake port work on the top of runners, with some minor port match at cylinder head without going larger than head opening. New cap,rotor, wires, iridium plugs.

Runs very good but what is strange is that the engine light is off. I was told that with the EGR non functional the computer would freak out. Very good it isn't, and I have driven the truck a few hundred miles and everything seems "normal", nock on wood.

So I was looking at the intake track, filter box into fender, not to impressed but is that a umm ok way to get fresh air or is there a better way to get air without hood change? Core support is very crowded and can not get a single hose through much less two. What has anybody done to improve fresh air to the intake?

Is there enough room over core support for a flat plastic collector to fit like the older ford Crown Vics? There just has to be a better way to collect fresh air. Windshield cowl, cut one or two holes into it? Lift the hood up at the back and fit the flat collector?

Or just procure a cowl hood and be done with it? Someone has improved on the fresh air feed. Thanks for any kind of better solution.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was looking at the intake track, filter box into fender, not to impressed but is that a umm ok way to get fresh air or is there a better way to get air without hood change? Core support is very crowded and can not get a single hose through much less two. What has anybody done to improve fresh air to the intake?

Is there enough room over core support for a flat plastic collector to fit like the older ford Crown Vics? There just has to be a better way to collect fresh air. Windshield cowl, cut one or two holes into it? Lift the hood up at the back and fit the flat collector?

Or just procure a cowl hood and be done with it? Someone has improved on the fresh air feed. Thanks for any kind of better solution.
Stop using your eyeballs to judge airflow. Use actual test equipment instead. Put a vacuum gauge on:
1. The inlet to the air cleaner
2. The "clean" side of the air filter, inside the filter housing.
3. Manifold vacuum fitting on intake manifold or TBI unit.

Then drive the vehicle WFO at maximum RPM (heaviest airflow demand) and MEASURE how restricted the airflow is via measuring the vacuum developed. IF there's a restriction, you'll see where it is, and how bad it is. Even two inches of vacuum is pretty inconsequential on a street-driven vehicle. A dedicated race engine might use twin four-barrel carbs of large capacity to drop the manifold vacuum below one inch.

First Guess: Not enough vacuum to create significant power loss. You're good-to-go as-is.