Knock sensor leaking best way to takle it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After putting the new one the engine started pinging at load so i removed it and put back the old one
Hmmm, is this a stock engine? Maybe your timing is too far advanced? Maybe you got the wrong sensor? It has to be matched to the engine and module or it won't work properly.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
Don't add any kind of sealant or thread tape to it, again it seals by design of the threads, although the new one -might- have a little thread compound already on it.

Richard

NPT (national pipe thread) by design does not seal naturally without some type of sealant. There is a pipe thread that will seal without sealant (dry seal) that is used in applications sensitive to contamination.

Ken

You must be registered for see images attach

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The knock threads into a water passage in the block.
In the old days that was just a "block drain" for the coolant.
There is another one on the other side.
If it is stuck, all kinds of corroded crud has accumulated on the end of the knock and is preventing it from backing out.
Be gentle, put a six point socket on it and rock it back and forth.
It was installed from the factory with thread sealant on it and combined with rust and crud, the end that is sticking into the block is now larger than the hole.
Move it back and forth gently while gaining a bit each time.
And dont be afraid to give it some heat
A MAP gas torch works well.
It will pee coolant on you, if it doesnt, its plugged full of crud.
Stick a wire in it and bust the crud loose.
And put a brand new knock sensor pigtail on it.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NPT (national pipe thread) by design does not seal naturally without some type of sealant. There is a pipe thread that will seal without sealant (dry seal) that is used in applications sensitive to contamination.

Ken

You must be registered for see images attach

I put on it a little permatex aviation.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn’t count actually. After putting the new one the engine started pinging at load so i removed it and put back the old one, and it too goes in only half way.

Probably about right then.
Last time I had mine out I don't recall how many turns but nothing there concerned me. Mine will be coming out again and if I remember I can count the turns. Don't know when that will be though - the weather here is against me - and maybe will be for a couple of months yet.