K2500 4x4 replacement lower control arms. Need help please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alaskaburb

Reaction score
I have searched and searched without any luck. Maybe I am calling them by the wrong name. I have a 1993 suburban K2500 4x4 with the stamped steel lower control arms with the riveted in ball joints. The shop wants $1000 to replace 4 ball joints and I have found through searching this is a gigantic pain to remove and replace. I would like to just buy an entire new replacement lower control arm but I can't find them. Does anyone have a part number or a source? Am I searching the wrong thing?

Thanks in advance!!

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
As far as I know you can't buy new ones,you have to replace the bushings & ball joint.If you buy the parts(I used Raybestos Pro Grade),remove the a-arms yourself and take all parts to a local shop you'll save a lot of money.It's a bit of work but the savings is worth it.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Those lower arms are a huge pain to remove. The uppers are easy to remove, and if you can run a grinder, the ball joints are not that hard to change. Just grind down the tops of the rivets until they are flush, then center punch and drill into them until they can be punched out the back side. The new joints come with bolts instead of rivets. Its pretty simple. The lower ball joints are easy to remove, but can be a PITA to put back in if they don't wanna cooperate. You just knock them out the bottom with a BIG hammer. I usually scrounge around and make a install tool out of a piece of pipe and tack it to the saddle of the floor jack. I use the weight of the vehicle and a hammer for persuasion. they usually go in pretty easy. Just be sure you use jack stands in case something goes wrong. You can rent a ball joint press to deal with that lower ball joint, but most rentals around here are not in the greatest of shape. Oreilly's and autozone both rent out these kits. There is no way i would pay someone $1000 to replace them. Couple hour job at the max for a novice mechanic.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was quoted $600 for the ball joints in my K2500 so I ended up doing it myself last September. Luckily, someone had already punched the rivets out of the lowers and they were bolted in. Still a PITA to get those old, rusty bolts to let go, but nothing a bigger hammer couldn't handle! Took a while dealing with getting all the components to let go and I ordered the wrong uppers by accident, but keeping the cost under $150 is realistic if you DIY.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Be careful on the 2500 so that you get the right ball joints. the light duty 2500 (6 lug) and heavy duty 2500 (8 lug) are different. You said suburban so i assume 8 lug. If you have the rivet in lowers, the press is not needed at all. Just grind the heads, drill them, and punch them out. Not hard at all. New ones just bolt in place of them. Will cost probably $150 total, save you $850 for a couple hours of work.

Alaskaburb

Reaction score
OK thanks everyone. Ill get on it. Im fairly handy so I'm sure I can tackle it. I was just looking for an easy out by replacing the lower arm. I saw Raybestos upper control arms and they are relatively cheap.

98_k1500

Reaction score
As far as the original question, no one sells lower arms with balljoints installed. Sorry :frown: But in all honesty, you will find that lower ball joint much easier to change than getting that torsion bar out.