Just changed steering gear box...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scmsltn

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It took me about 3 hours taking my time. That gear box is pretty heavy working by myself sucked...it would be easier with two people. I did not need to change my pitman arm because it was new. Here are some interesting things I did.

- I didn't have a wrench big enough to get the top gear box bolt off, so I trimmed a little window with my Dremel to be able to fit a socket and ratchet in there.

- left my pitman arm attached to the steering bar. When I put the box back on, I slid the gear box box into the pitman arm and it wasn't too bad. It then made it pretty easy to line up the holes for the gearbox to frame since the pitman arm sort of guided me to where it needed to be.

- doing it my way, the shaft and gear box didn't line up so I couldn't connect them. I decided to reconnect all the steering lines, fill with fluid, and the I had my gf turn on the truck and hold the wheel. With the power steering pressurized, I was able to turn the steering gear so it lined up and then I could slide the shaft on. (The airbag was disabled the whole time)

Round about way of doing it... But it worked well, I have never done it before and the steering is nice and tight... No play at all and no squeals. I am pretty happy.

Question... Should I have an alignment done after this?

Thanks, jeff

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I always have vehicles aligned after replacing the steering gear. Rebuilt gear boxes are not always centered the same. So your pitman arm may be a few degrees off causing a crooked steering wheel. But if that doesn't bother you, then don't worry about it. Your toe and steering angles didn't change.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also like to purge all of the air out of the system without the steering linkage hooked up. I don't like having a load on the system, especially if it is a hydro boost.