Jerking in overdrive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wasn't even the one that deleted it. It's been that way for who knows how long. I'm just slowly correcting the PO's cobbled ****

Sent from my LG-H820PR using Tapatalk

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would a 180 stat make any difference, trucks mostly stock. It was bored. 030 over. And it has a comp 12-388-4 cam.

Reaction score
Here's the other odd part, in any other gear, besides overdrive, with the converter locked, you still don't feel the jerking at all. It's strictly in overdrive. Is that because the engine is lugging more? Which to me would seem more on the ignition side of things.

unless you modified how the transmission wiring is set up it wil only lock up in 4th gear. Adjust your tv cable, and start looking for a new torque converter.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How are your motor and transmission mounts?

To check motor mounts, set parking brake, put in drive and blip throttle.

The engine should slightly move to the passenger side. If it lurches or visibly jumps in engine bay, replace motor mounts.

Bad motor mounts can cause shudder and vibration because engine is moving around in engine bay. Especially when lugging.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I adjusted the TV cable how you are supposed to. But the tranny shifted late and banged Everytime. So I backed it off one click. It downshifts perfectly.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So then. Would the converter itself be bad or the lock up solenoid? If it's locking in gears other than 4th.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Would a 180 stat make any difference, trucks mostly stock. It was bored. 030 over. And it has a comp 12-388-4 cam.

Not sure about the TBI trucks, but for the Vortecs I've always heard it's best to leave the stock 195 degree thermostat in. Been told that by both my mechanic and Justin at Black Bear Performance.