Jerking in overdrive?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah. I didn't plan on touching it. All the shift points seem correct.

Sent from my LG-H820PR using Tapatalk

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You could try this as a test, now mind you I am not a transmission expert so take that into consideration and you may want to do some more research before experimenting with your transmission. It may already be on its way out, or it could be something fixable without a rebuild...

Try disconnecting the 4 pin connector on the transmission. This is for the lockup. Now, some people will tell you they have run like this for however many miles with no problems. I would recommend ONLY doing it as a test, because disabling the lockup will cause the transmission to run hotter than normal and can kill it. Anyway once you disconnect this see if the problem goes away. You won't have lockup, and the probability is, you won't get the shudder like this.

IF it no longer shudders...the lockup solenoid may be bad, wiring for it going bad (mainly suspecting the wiring inside the pan), or your converter may be bad. There's also some occurrences of an input shaft o-ring leaking allowing fluid to escape the converter when it shouldn't but I honestly don't know much about that situation.

IF it still shudders with the lockup disabled...it may still be a fuel pressure issue (marginal pressure as I mentioned before; your filter may be brand new but if the pump is starting to get weak...) or a secondary ignition failure, meaning in the high voltage side. Coil (rarely bad), cap, rotor, wires, something breaking down in there. Check the cap and rotor for any carbon tracking, try replacing them. I know you said you did them a while back but they are still suspect.

Again, only disconnect the lockup circuit as a test. Try it out and then hook it back up to minimize risk of overheating your trans.

Richard

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the other odd part, in any other gear, besides overdrive, with the converter locked, you still don't feel the jerking at all. It's strictly in overdrive. Is that because the engine is lugging more? Which to me would seem more on the ignition side of things.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's the other odd part, in any other gear, besides overdrive, with the converter locked, you still don't feel the jerking at all. It's strictly in overdrive. Is that because the engine is lugging more? Which to me would seem more on the ignition side of things.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tonight I took the truck on a 35 Mile drive. On the way there, it was 50, windy, and the whole time, every hill it jerked and missed. SES light was on for egr (deleted). On the way back. It was 30 and windy. It drove very well until I just about was home. At 45 (1500 rpms) giving it just the right amount of throttle made it stutter. Somehow the SES light was off. What gives?

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tonight I took the truck on a 35 Mile drive. On the way there, it was 50, windy, and the whole time, every hill it jerked and missed. SES light was on for egr (deleted). On the way back. It was 30 and windy. It drove very well until I just about was home. At 45 (1500 rpms) giving it just the right amount of throttle made it stutter. Somehow the SES light was off. What gives?

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Final part, is that it only shakes like that when you have the perfect amount of throttle, right before it would unlock or downshift.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't even think about touching the TV cable unless you know very well what you're doing. Getting it just a little bit too loose, you will roast the transmission in a hurry. That cable controls the internal working pressure of the transmission. Adjust it wrong and it will slip itself to death.

Richard

The tv cable is easliy adjusted properly and os designed to be done with one person.

I've noticed you seem to think these trucks are made of glass, have you had bad experiences with them?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I always give that blanket warning regarding adjusting the TV cable because if you do it wrong and have it too loose, you will destroy the transmission in a hurry. This is fact. So as long as you know what you're doing, obviously it's no big deal. If you're not experienced in recognizing when it is done correctly and how it should act, and vice-versa, things can go downhill quickly.

Not sure why you say that I think these trucks are made of glass, think what you like, I've put countless hundreds of thousands of miles on GMT400's. If I thought they were junk I would have bought something else.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

If I were you I'd think about either tuning the EGR out of the PCM (not really sure what the easiest way to do this is on a TBI truck) or reinstalling it. I've heard bad things about deleting it and not tuning it out. Just my two cents.