It dies then I turn the key and it will come back to life (5 times in an hour)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black97305

Reaction score
Ok so I let my mom drive my truck today, '97 305 vortec, and it stalled out in the drive when she was backing out, turned the key to off and restarted the truck just fine so I wrote it off. Within the next hour it did it 4 more times, and 2 times previously when I was driving it (but that was months ago, and on separate days and if I remember correct 1 time was because of a loose battery connection since the battery is so cheep, have to find an Interstate dealer yet). After she was done driving I had to take it to work, it half stalled in the drive on my way there and then again right after I started it when I was leaving work. What is wrong with it???? I think it is probably in the fuel system (dirty filter, bad pump) but this is not really my specialty so any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if you had a best guess on a price to fix it that would be great.

When I took it to my sister's friends dad who is a dodge mechanic to fix the brakes / manifold and reset the timing he said it looks like it has a new cap/rotor but not plugs, can't remember about wires (plugs have quite a bit of rust on the nut, mainly just assuming wires are not real new but who knows - if there's an easy way to know I would sure like to know it :)) I will probably be taking it to him for a diagnosis/estimate tomorrow after school but wanted a little background into what was the problem.