Issues with Shifting 1-2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I put a reman transmission I got out of 4.3 vortec parts truck into my 5.7 tahoe. The main concern I have been having is in regards to the 1-2 shift. Theres a slight flare and theres a pause between the truck shifting if I'm shifting above 2000rpms. Is the transmission slipping? I got it for $250 so I'm not overly concerned but it works fine at all other times and if I'm lightly shifting you dont notice it.

Thanks for your input.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
It helps if you push in the clutch before shifting. :)

JK, but it could be something with the torque reduction in the computer (I'm not an expert so excuse the terminology) dropping engine torque longer than it needs to be between shifts. whenever I put 'shift kit' resistors in my 4l60e's you can notice that phenomenon during part-throttle shifts.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It shift literally fine if I'm easy on it and if I am beating on it the trans just take a second between 1-2, shifts fine 2-3 and 3-4. I cant figure out. Is the fluid of concern? I am using Valvoline Max Life ATF.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sure sounds like slipping to me...

dcp1992

Instagram - @dcp1992
Reaction score
Mines been doing that between 1-2 the last 3 years I've had it (and who knows how long before that) Slow acceleration is fine, anything moderate is hesitates then catches unless WOT. Then it's not as bad but still there.

When I got the truck it had some phantom DTC, but one meant nothing (no definition anywhere I looked, even GM forums didn't know) and the other was the generic P0700 trans code. They have since disappeared.

I've just learned to live with it since I'll be going 4l80E pretty soon.

Plus my 4L60E has over 220k in it, that's not unexpected.