Is it my tranny?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok guys so I towed my landscaping trailer yesterday (small 5x12) no weight hardly. I noticed my truck was ******* it a good bit. As I'm backing it up and getting it in I notice it slams from Drive to reverse. I get the trailer off and it slams from park to drive. I take it around the block and it won't shift unless it goes 500 rpms over where it should shift or it will shift if i let off the gas. When I put it in park the idle kicks way up to 1200 rpms. So today I start it up and let it warm up I take through the gears and it shifts fine. I put it in park and start to check my fluid level and all of a sudden my idle kicks way up again and it starts slamming from park to reverse and park to drive. Is it my tranny??? Any help is greatly appreciated!

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sure sounds like it. Time to drop the pan and see if there is anything in the fluid and to see what kinda shape the fluid is in.

Last edited:

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes most likely, 35's and a stock 4l60-e dont last forever.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just had my tranny rebuilt by a sketchy mechanic. He was supposed to rebuild mine. I noticed it wasn't my same transmission and he said he already had a 4l60e built up. So I think maybe he just gave me a **** one from his junk yard. The only thing is my idle will randmonly kick up, thats when it will start slamming into gear and won't shift until its screaming or I let off the gas....

This morning I cranked it up and it idled normally and shifted fine. I got back to the house put it in park to check the tranny fluid level. My idle randomly kicked up and it started back again??? :uhoh2::bs:

Reaction score
Sounds like he may have got one over on you. I would go get your original tranny back and your money from him. Then head down to a reputable shop and get it straightened out. Sometimes good deals aren't so good in the end, I have learned this the hard way myself. Hope you get it worked out and get your rig shifting smoothly.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well not really because even though it isn't my original I have a 1 year warranty. It's been like 2 months. Its his baby now. He's trying to tip toe around it but either way I have the paperwork and will get what I want to get it fixed.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Were you towing that trailer in Over Drive ?
If so that's a No-No .

It pretty much sounds like your tranny is toasted because from what you
described that's exactly what happens when they take a crap on you.