Introduction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to do an introduction post for myself. I recently got a 1988 K2500 ( 6 lug) reg cab 8' bed truck to use as a beater/heavy towing rig. It's not what anyone might consider a 'nice' truck, but it isn't a full blown rot-mobile either. It sat for a while in the grass next to the PO house. It did move under it's own power and I did manage to limp it home, but after I started digging into it to see what absolutely needed replacing in order to be safe to drive, I realized that I should have had it towed home. 'Road Kill' level of hackery/problems!

I found this site while I was searching out some technical info. I am mechanically competent so I have been doing all of the work so far. When I figure out where to link a pic from ( on site storage or something else) I will share a few pics of the beast. This truck is simply a work truck/ firewood truck, I will not be restoring it or spending much effort into any cosmetic upgrades. I just need it to be mechanically sound as financially feasible. Basic stats- 5.7, granny gear 4 speed ( Sm465 ) 3.73 gears. 7200# GVW. manual crank up windows, cruise control that might work, I have no idea. Intermittent wipers, tilt wheel.

Big repairs so far- new parking brake cables and adjuster, new shoes, wheel cylinders and all hardware. The drums were good enough. New front rotors/pads. Caliper carriers taken apart and refurbished, the pins work well. New rear brake line after find (3) sectioned pieces that were joined with compression fittings. New flex lines, new MC. She stops pretty well!
New shocks, I went cheap and got some monroe gas magnums from amazon but picked up from a local parts store. One dead rear shock and 1 leaky front shock, straight out of the boxes. 2 weeks worth of trying to get a refund between amazon and the parts store, monroe customer service wouldn't do squat for me. Got the refunds through my Visa card, washed my hands clean of it. I went with KYB gas-a-justs from autozone, they seem to work well

I got rid of the home made exhaust ( literally straight pipes that were pie cut, hand bent and booger welded from the manifolds to the tail pipes) and put on a full OE exhaust harvested from a '94. I only had to drill 2 holes in the rear of the frame for the rear-most hanger mount to be installed. It's solid enough that it will last for a while. I plugged the O2 bung at the CAT, since my truck has a single sensor on the left side exhaust manifold.

I scored a good deal at Rockauto on some TRW branded upper control arms that came with ball joints. They goofed and sent me 2 rights, then over-nighted a left side. Now I have an extra Right side that will go up for grabs when I get the ability to post in the classified. I found a guy on Marketplace that was parting out these trucks near Red Lion, PA. I got adjuster cams from him. I ground off the welded washers and got the cams installed, a local MR Tire did a decent alignment on it.

What else... oh yeah, I had to replace the front diff. When I removed the old CVs in an attempt to reboot them, the axle shaft literally came out of the left side and I noticed the messy RTV around the joint where the axle tube meets the diffy housing. Someone's been in there before... I also found that the t-bars were cranked to the moon. I set them so that the new shocks were sitting at mid travel. So in the end, a new(er) front diff and new CVs from Carquest. The front end is done and shouldn't need anything from me for as long as I keep this pile of GMC.

I am about to start tearing off the intake manifold again, I didn't get enough squeeze out at the rear of the intake, it's leaking oil down the bell housing and onto the cross over pipe.

What's left- besides the intake manifold gasket that I don't want to do, I need to replace the slave cylinder and hot and ground cables from the battery, as they are growing green fuzz as I type this. I need to put the dash back together, I pulled the cluster to trouble shoot the dead speedo and found a few blown capacitors. I replaced them and got most of the cluster functions back, the speedo will intermittently work when it feels like it, and the e-brake light is flashing 9 times to tell me that there is no speedo signal. The sensor is new ( Standard brand, decent stuff) so that isn't it. I have a complete needle cluster that I would like to swap ( including the DRAC unit) but it's a low priority right now) The truck needs to haul big lumber and pull a 16' trailer soon, things that my Tacoma wouldn't do very well.

Last edited:

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey! Sounds like a sweet.ride. I've it's like brother and use it for the same kinda work. Thanks for saving me from the Monroe headache. Was ready to pull the trigger on a set
How do you like the KYB's?

Attachments

• 20230619_100351.jpg
    20230619_100351.jpg
    401.5 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Hey! Sounds like a sweet.ride. I've it's like brother and use it for the same kinda work. Thanks for saving me from the Monroe headache. Was ready to pull the trigger on a set
How do you like the KYB's?
I only have a few miles on them ( less then 100 for sure) but they seem to work well. They don't bounce when going over speed bumps. I had a good bit of 6x6 x12 posts in the bed, even with the rear squatting a bit they handled bumps really well. I was going to get Rancho RS5000's, they were a bit less expensive and plenty good enough for this truck, but no one had them in stock. Every place was a least a week away for delivery, I had to drive an hour 1 way to get the KYB's from a vatozone ( only store that had enough fronts and rears to make up a full set). I can say that they have a good gas charge in them, I couldn't recompress the rear shocks by hand when I over shot the upper mount. I had to drop them on the ground and use some bailing wire to make a strap to hold them compressed enough to re-mount them.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That sucks to hear about Monroe's quality or lack thereof. We sold that brand at our parts store and Dad used them on all our vehicles. Every pickup and Burb had Magnums on it, then Gas Magnums when they came out. Made a big difference in ride and handling, though the pickups were all long beds so better ride than a short bed to begin with. I've wanted to put Gas Magnums on the crew cab since the shocks may be the ones it left Flint, Michigan GM Truck and Bus Plant with in September '96.... The Burb did have its original shocks when they were replaced in May '21.
Just didn't have the $$$ for shipping through RA or getting them on commercial account discount at O'Reilly's.