Intermittent No Start...Starter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

Every now and then (although it's getting a bit more frequent) when I go to start the truck, I'll turn the key to "Start" and all I get is a metallic click/clunk. It sounds like the starter solenoid, perhaps. It doesn't sound like a relay.

Of course, the starter does nothing. I'll cycle the ignition 2-3 times, and it'll always start (so far).

Anyone know what that is? The starter seems to work great when it engages, plenty of power, sounds normal.

Grounds and such are good. I'll check the underhood relay area on the firewall later, but it was fine a few months ago, and it's been going on longer than that.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Don't rule out an ignition switch. Get some prices on parts. Start with the cheapest and quickest. Good luck.

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
If you have some electrical trouble shooting equipment your job is easier. If you have a multimeter check the wires for resistance between the ignition and starter. Of they are good(should be but you never know) then when it acts up check that the starter solenoid has power when you key to crank position. If It does
You got a bad solenoid. If it doesn't have power you have an ignition problem. A test light will work too but it can't rule out a broken wire. For that you will have to do some investigating visually. Wires rarely cause intermittent problems unless they hang loose while driving. Most of the time intermittent issues are caused by devices failing. I hope this helps and I hope that if I missed anything someone who knows more will chime in to help you get this thing fixed.

Tyler/T-Unit

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Make sure you check BETWEEN the positive cables on your battery. It's free, and just might solve your problem. Our trucks have two positive cables. One runs to the starter, and one powers everything else. If there is corrosion between these, then the starter doesn't get enough power and will just "clunk" like it's going bad. Just make sure the connection between these cables is clean (looks like a copper washer), and that may fix it.

Otherwise, sounds like a starter solenoid to me. You can always pull it out and have it tested. If it is bad, I know that shops like O'Reilly's and Autozone sell them with lifetime warranties. No questions asked. You bring it in, they swap it for a new one.