Install hvac box without firewall pad only kilmats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwshields

Reaction score
Hey guys newb here! I just finished getting my whole interior out to rebuild the hvac box and redo interior. When I got to the firewall pad it was cracked, ripped and started to fall apart on me…. I was wondering if anybody ever installed the hvac box and dashboard without the pad before?

Would just using some sound deadening material do any good? I just ordered some kilmat 100mil, or would it just make a mess with the heat? I’ve never used deadening mats before… any thoughts?
You must be registered for see images attach

Canadian Rust Bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can run your kilmat right up the firewall, it won't melt. I did mine two years ago and have had no issues. I did put the pad back overtop of the kilmat, though.

Also, when you install the kilmat, it's worth it to put foil tape on the joints where the sheets meet. I found that it tended to ooze a small amount of tar when I rolled it down, and taping keeps the tar from getting transfered to you, your clothes, or your shop.
You need to roll it down with a "pressure roller tool", "seam roller", etc. Theres a bunch of names for the tool, but to make sure you get good adhesion rolling is a necessary step, especially on vertical sections.

If you want to put an extra layer of sound deadening that has more volume to mimic the pad, you could look for "closed cell" foam. I used Noico Red brand foam on the roof interior for extra insulation and soundproofing.

While you're in there, consider inspecting and replacing your seam sealer at the base of the firewall. I found quite a bit of rust hiding behind mine.

Hope this helps!