idling and shifting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Upon further research, I've found out that a P0717 is a code for the 4L80E. I have a 4L60E. When I did my swap, the guy that flashed my pcm put the program for a 2003 Chevy express 3500 with a 6.0 engine (since I was switching to DBC, from the DBW throttle body). My scanner shows it's a 03 express 3500 6.0. Now I would assume that would mean the pcm thinks I have a 4L80E. Could this be my problem? Maybe I don't have any actual issues with physical pieces or sensors, and it's simply the pcm thinking I have the wrong transmission. And since it's not receiving a signal from a 4L80E, it's causing my 4L60E to malfunction. That should be a simple fix, if this is truly what's going on. Anyone ever hear of this kinda situation? Or should it really not matter which transmission the pcm thinks I have?

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
P0717 is a code for the input speed sensor. If you dont have one on that transmission then, yes, you need to have a different flash on the computer for the proper transmission. If you do have that sensor, then it could be a few things...

1. Sensor is bad
2. Sensor of a 4L60 is different from a 4L80 and is sending a different signal. I doubt this however, seems to me they should send the same type of signal since its only an RPM thing.
3. Sensor is unplugged.
4. Flash is corrupted in the transmission area.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
after looking around, your tranny probably doesnt have that sensor, apparently it didnt come into play on that series of transmission until somewhere in the mid 2000's. So you will need to find a more proper tune for your application.

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for all of your help. A few updates...i've reflashed the PCM which didnt help. Turns out the Program that was originally setup in the pcm was for a 3500 express van with a 6.0/4L80E. BUT, the tuner changed the segments and such for a 5.3/4L60E. And there was one of the tables that he forgot to switch, so in his words the transmission was "shifting like a 60, but searching for faults like an 80". so, he sent me a new PCM with the correct parameters. Since going back and forth with different PCM's and different tunes/programs, I discovered that the tranny was actually screwed up (burned up clutch packs and the like). So I had the tranny rebuilt into a megabeast. Corvette servo's, hummer planetary gears, shift kit, Zpack clutches, and other stuff. Then the truck started running F'd up. Turns out, the top clip on the 2" rubber hose between the fuel pump and the pickup tube had came undone (silly me for using the plastic clip supplied with the pump), and that was allowing fuel to bypass the pickup tube and fall back into the tank. Which burned up the fuel pump. I only had 21 PSI at the fuel rail with the engine running. as soon as you keyed off, the pressure dropped to zero. So, i did the pump yesterday. Motors back running healthy. And low and behold (keep in mind, rebuilt transmission, and new pcm with corrected parameters), BAM right there as i'm moving onto the off ramp going home, it kicks out of gear again. Same problem. Same thing with turning it off, and back on and the problem goes away. So, I spent a couple hours farting around on google, and other LS related forums, and found a thread where a guy with a camaro was having the same issue while he was cruising or in moderate traffic at part throttle. Word for Word exactly the same symptoms i was having. He was able to figure out that there's misfires that occur that dont actually throw a diagnostic code. and these misfires are causing the converter to unlock while at cruising speeds. Coincidentally, he's also using the E3 Diamond fire spark plugs. This guy ditched the E3 plugs, and went with the conventional recommended stock plugs, and went into HPtuners, and was able to Max out the misfire tables, and the guy hasnt had any problems since. SOOOOO, after 6 months, and somewhere in the neighborhood of $3500-$4000....I'm pretty sure i've finally found the fix for this. So, this weekend I will be chunking those E3 plugs, and picking up some NGK's, or something similar. Maybe just that will fix it. otherwise i need to find a good reputable tuner down here, since the speed shop that did my last tune moved like 2 hours north, and the other guy that did my pcm lives in Michigan. I will keep this thread updated, and hopefully the next guy with this problem will find this, before he spends a small fortune like i did.

Silverfox

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Shawn; Sorry to hear that you are (or were) having such problems with your swap. Please keep us informed as some of us will be doing that swap soon and want to know how to fix it if we come across it !! I hope the spark plug change helps and doesn't surprise me that it was a computer glitch to start with--it always seems to be--human error--LOL--Really good luck and happy cruizing !!

Shaun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
hey silver, i'm hoping this will fix the problem. other than this shifting issue, she runs great. will update as soon as i do the spark plugs, and hopefully that will be it. there's not too many tuners down here. fingers crossed!