Idle issue.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

un4givn85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been fighting an idle issue on my truck, 93 K1500 350.
It started after I went through some deep puddles with my son.
Now once it warms up, it idles like crap and has died a couple times in traffic.
What I've done so far is replace the cap and rotor, plugs, wires, cleaned the EGR valve.
The EGR cleaning was by recommendation of a mechanic friend just based on what I've told him.
The cleaning worked for about a day, then it started again.
Where should I go from here?

Also, should my throttle body be making a constant almost grinding sound? Like a winding clock.

Also, how necessary is this black tube?
You must be registered for see images attach

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Disconnect the vaccuum line going to the egr and plug the line with a screw/bolt, see if it runs better, if it does then replace the egr valve. A bad egr can make it stumble and run like ass unless you have it revved up/under load.

How deep were these "puddles"?

Your throttle body shouldn't really make any noticeable noise in comparison to the engine and fan.

The tube serves two purposes, it pulls fresh, cool air in from the fender, which is better than the hot air from around the engine, and it makes the intake a little quieter. Is it necessary? No, but it is a good thing in my opinion.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Why did the 350's get that big silencer thing but 305's & 4.3's didn't? On the plus side, it's one other thing that helps me spot a factory 350 truck, provided it hasn't been messed with or deleted...

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Why did the 350's get that big silencer thing but 305's & 4.3's didn't? On the plus side, it's one other thing that helps me spot a factory 350 truck, provided it hasn't been messed with or deleted...

If i remember correctly it was to help quite down the air intake.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been fighting an idle issue on my truck, 93 K1500 350.
It started after I went through some deep puddles with my son.
Now once it warms up, it idles like crap and has died a couple times in traffic.
What I've done so far is replace the cap and rotor, plugs, wires, cleaned the EGR valve.
The EGR cleaning was by recommendation of a mechanic friend just based on what I've told him.
The cleaning worked for about a day, then it started again.
Where should I go from here?

Also, should my throttle body be making a constant almost grinding sound? Like a winding clock.

Also, how necessary is this black tube?
You must be registered for see images attach

You can hear the injectors pulsing when the air cleaner if off/open. It sounds like a very fast clicking.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Right, when I slapped on an open element on my TBI Firebird I noticed how loud they were but the 305 is damn near the same as the 350 from that standpoint yet doesn't have the silencer thing. Engineers must've had their reasons though.

un4givn85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I will try plugging the line and see what happens.

The puddles were probably axle height or more.

So is it normal to be able to hear the injectors over the other engine noises, fan, exhaust, etc while the air cleaner assembly is in place?