Ice storm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
By the way, after sitting for 5 days in the ice storm and being out in below "0" temps for 75% of that time, I cleaned all the 2" ice off the truck and cranked the engine over and it started on the 3rd revolution. Never touched the fuel and it went to fast idle immediately with 50 psi oil pressure and warmed up and heater worked flawlessly. Power windows worked fine.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a pretty exciting morning today. I woke up early because it's a marginal 32F this morning with potentially wet ice situations, and there's three steep hills and a bridge between our house and my wife's work. I like to drive her to work when it's bad out, in her words, "Yeah you slide around on purpose all the time so it makes sense."

So I'm in my pajamas evaluating ground conditions outside 1.5 hours before I normally get up, half a cup of coffee turning my kidneys into overdrive. Still dark, I hear running water in the near vicinity, like a waterfall. It's not raining. It's coming from the chicken coup direction, former residence of our recently evicted neighbor. Uh oh.

I grab a flashlight from inside and investigate. Sure enough, the bottom edge of the coup is absolutely pouring with water. A pipe must have burst in there overnight and it's actively going crazy. I know where my water shutoff is, but I have no idea about this place. The door is locked, I scan the building and there's some water pipes on the back side that lead down to the ground behind some stolen construction site materials left behind from the previous tenant's, uh, "career choice."

I clear them out and am rewarded with a grey plastic round cap on the ground that says WATER. The whole thing is under water, but I remove the cap and there's a valve down there so I close it and after about 10 minutes the waterfall has slowed to drips. Crisis averted, I got ahold of my landlady's brother and they'll take care of it from here.

The drive to my wife's work was uneventful, but apparently there's black ice just around the other hill at her work and people are having problems with it, so my concerns were justified. Stay safe out there everyone!

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Day pics of the carnage. Even had 2 palm trees break off. Pic of one palm tree.

You must be registered for see images attach

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Anchor

Reaction score
Hey Movietvet; Check out Portland Marketplace for 1988 or 89 C1500 for sale for 650. Newly rebuilt 5.7 that they spent 2800 on is bolted in except for distributor, hoses, etc. Parts are in cab to finish including break in oil. Sounds like real thing. 2000 for all with the parts seems like a good thing. I would go get it but I have three 400 gmt at the moment and wife says no till I sell one.