I want to put a different motor in my 92 k1500 and and dont want an Ls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to do an engine swap but I don't want to do an Ls at the moment it has the stock 350 in it
Well.....that's a hell of a question now isn't it.
Hemi?
Coyote?
124 Harley twin cam?
Tesla conversion?
Wenkel rotary?

You get the point.

Need a LOT more information before anyone can answer.
What's your budget?
Are you mechanically inclined?
Timeline?
Toy or daily driver?
Are you drag racing, mud bogging or towing?

There are hundreds of ways to go with a engine swap. The more information about what goals are, the easier it will be too help you with your project.
Believe me, there are a lot of people here who will help you spend your money!!! Lol

Vaulttecceo88

Reaction score
Big Spring Texas United States of America
At the moment I don't have a budget or a timeline I am just planning it out so I can know how much to put aside for it and my father and I have worked on vehicles for years so I am decent mechanically and my dad used to be a Ford master technician but now he mostly works on hemis and older gm motors it's just really going to be a toy but I want it to go fast

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At the moment I don't have a budget or a timeline I am just planning it out so I can know how much to put aside for it and my father and I have worked on vehicles for years so I am decent mechanically and my dad used to be a Ford master technician but now he mostly works on hemis and older gm motors it's just really going to be a toy but I want it to go fast
So now we are on the right path.
The reason most go LS as I'm sure you are aware is budget. Bang for the buck, can't be beat. Smallish money for big power.
But a 383 as @454cid mentioned is tried and true combination. Lots of info floating around the web on those builds.
You may have to go to an aftermarket EFI system if you stray too far away from stock. Or go carb(boooooo).
And being a 92, assume you have a 4L60e transmission, that could be a weak link if you throw too much power at it. So a tranny build/swap may also be needed.
Nice you have skills and a dad with them as well. You could get away with some cool stuff if you want.
You could freshen up the current motor, maybe bore it a bit, throw on some new aftermarket heads or Vortecs, cam, intake and headers, and that would be like adding a Whipple supercharger to the stock motor.
Their is nothing wrong with being "different" and not going the LS route, I am still half a$$ thinking of a 3rd gen Hemi for mine.

There are literally as many answers as people who will answer your question.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to do an engine swap... it's just really going to be a toy but I want it to go fast
You have three sensible choices. Build the 350, swap up to a 454, or go LS. The most important question is where you want it to go fast.

Street driving or autocross? Build a hot 350 or 383. Least expensive option.
Drag? Build a turbo LS. The budget is completely open, but the price skyrockets with reliability.
Mud? Build a 454. Nothing big block is cheap, but they're rugged and powerful.

If you want to get crazy and do a non-standard swap, see if you can find a big-block Cadillac. They're getting to be hen's teeth, but they're stupid big and produce over 300 lb/ft of torque right off idle. There are parts vendors out there for them, and there were lots of GMT400 swaps back in the day. The name's slipping my mind, but there's someone currently active on the board who has a Caddy swap.

Beyond that, the only other swaps I would consider would be a 4BT or 6BT Cummins.

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go BB and TH400 since it's a K. Throw a lift and big rubber and go play where ever the he ll you want

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 383 or 400 small-block doesn't require stiffer springs, and everything you have now--accessory mount, A/C, Alternator, PS, exhaust, etc., is going to drop right into place without fabrication or additional trips to the Treasure Yard to find Big-Block brackets, big-block hoses, etc.

Before you do any of that...you need to replace the rear brakes, probably by upgrading the entire rear axle assembly from the fragile 8.5" ring gear axle with 254mm (10") brakes, to a 9.5" axle with 11.x brakes. You'll need a scan tool to properly bleed the brakes afterwards.

The transmission would likely be the next upgrade. 4L60E?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 383 or 400 small-block doesn't require stiffer springs, and everything you have now--accessory mount, A/C, Alternator, PS, exhaust, etc., is going to drop right into place without fabrication or additional trips to the Treasure Yard to find Big-Block brackets, big-block hoses, etc.

Before you do any of that...you need to replace the rear brakes, probably by upgrading the entire rear axle assembly from the fragile 8.5" ring gear axle with 254mm (10") brakes, to a 9.5" axle with 11.x brakes. You'll need a scan tool to properly bleed the brakes afterwards.

The transmission would likely be the next upgrade. 4L60E?
Luckily no need to find big block specific accessory brackets.