I know I know . another tbi to vortec swap question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1BAD89

Reaction score
ok guys i've been looking for a engine for my 89 k1500 5.7 . I have found a 96 truck with a 5.7 vortec that i am looking at tomorrow if i purchase the engine i will probally just going to get a vortec to tbi intake and keep all my old skool tbi injection. I know the vortecs had a higher HP rating. What if any HP gains could i see using all the old tbi stuff? Would i see about $300 dollars worth(cost of a new intake) haha.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Yes, even with the tbi set up you should see a power increase over your old tbi engine. While your at it I might suggest a cam swap at the same time.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

1BAD89

Reaction score
yeah i was think about a swap while the engine is out what would be a good cam to get for this engine? I will probally just be DD it with a little towing nothing heavy.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
yeah i was think about a swap while the engine is out what would be a good cam to get for this engine? I will probally just be DD it with a little towing nothing heavy.

Something like a 218/222 @0.50 would be a good every day cam.