I can't stand the noise anymore. Serpentine belt help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
okay so just recently (2 to 4 weeks) my GMT400 has been making this noise from the serpentine belt. So I changed the tensioner and the idler pulley. It is still making this noise! the noise is a solid squeak. I can sometimes get it to stop when i tap the gas. It happens when it is cold, hot, no load, full load, it is just irritating me and i need help. I cant get a video up of the noise. It is just a solid squeak (changes with the rpms of the engine, obviously). I have power steering and whatnot and it all works just fine. I got a new belt too. So I really need some help. its the 5.7 350 small block. Fuel injected.

thanks

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
The accessories at the front of the motor, A/C,Alt,fan,ect. all have bearings that can crater. Find the noisy offender with a stethoscope. Repair or replace the unit thats screamin. U can replace the bearings only, say in the Alt fer example. The fan clutch u would just replace.The tensioner can be fixed with new wheels. I always try belt dressing first. 7 outa 10 times it fixes the squeak.

onetongwa

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
okay so just recently (2 to 4 weeks) my GMT400 has been making this noise from the serpentine belt. So I changed the tensioner and the idler pulley. It is still making this noise! the noise is a solid squeak. I can sometimes get it to stop when i tap the gas. It happens when it is cold, hot, no load, full load, it is just irritating me and i need help. I cant get a video up of the noise. It is just a solid squeak (changes with the rpms of the engine, obviously). I have power steering and whatnot and it all works just fine. I got a new belt too. So I really need some help. its the 5.7 350 small block. Fuel injected.

thanks

Try a new pulley like Shelbyt.67 said or Buy a better brand belt, like Goodyear Gator

And thanks shelbyt.67 for the information about pulleys!!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I had the same prob wih mine. Changed everything that rotated on the front of the engine, one part at a time, starting with the cheapest & easiest. Belt, (several) idler, H2o pump, altemator, lower crank pulley. All but the P.S. pump. Needed a puller, which I didn't have, to get the pulley off that, which has to be done in order to get P.S.pump off. And of course, it was the power steering that had a worn out bearing. The most expensive & hardest to remove part on there. Wouldn't of been so bad if I hadn't spent all that time & $$$ on the other 'cheaper' parts to begin with.
But it doesn't squeek anymore! Lol!

lilrobb

Reaction score
pull your belt off and spin each part by hand...you may be able to hear if its the alt,ps,or any other pulley.....i had a 98 that did the same thing when i bought it...turned out to be the alt

ChevyDude84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to sound sarcastic, but Have you tried replacing the belt? Just did mine on the 98... check for cracks or tears in the serp belt. Start with the cheapest first ;)