HVAC airflow from h-c ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matp1992

Reaction score
Hello , ‘92 RCLB 4x4 (7200gvw) here . I have an air flow issue when switching from hot to cold and vice versa . Everything works as it should the floor ,def , and vents all switch as they should and the fan switches from L,M,H as it should . The issue is when it’s over on the cold side I get perfect air flow through the dash but when switching to hot the air flow reduces prob 85-90%, switch it back to cold and the air is back full blast . I’ve tried every combination and blowed the ducts out with air and even ran a small vac hose through the places that was accessible. Any input would be appreciated on this .

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So airflow is reduced. Determine if fan actually slowing down? Is the air control valve fully changing positions? Remove fan inspect inside duct to see if heater exchanger is full of " fuzz, dog hair, plant matter, grass, seeds, pine cones, corn, miscellaneous stuff." It can get clogged just like a radiator.

Matp1992

Reaction score
Several little 7mm screws, one is kinda a pain to get too . I still have it all apart , when I get home I’ll take a pic of that bottom lid so you can see where they are exactly located . Took literally 10min to get the heater core out . It’s a great design compared to others

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What make, year, model ? Is that the cabin filter?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got it, at first it looked like a filter. I did inspection for a large dealership , used, leased turn ins. If you can dream it , it finds its way to the fan filter area, as the heat / cooling exchangers are also filter screens.

Matp1992

Reaction score
How did you get that bottom part off and what tools did you use?

Ok here’s the bottom of the heater box that houses the heater core . The red arrows are the screws that can be accessed very easily and the blue one is between heater box and floor board area , you can’t see it with eyes but you can feel it and it takes a 7mm deep well with a little extension , using Channel locks to turn it a couple times then You can turn the socket with your fingers to remove it . It wasn’t hard just took a little fiddling around (going back together may be a little tougher).

Attachments

• 0A2D3BE8-18E7-42B7-9A22-1AFDE411D454.jpeg
    0A2D3BE8-18E7-42B7-9A22-1AFDE411D454.jpeg
    443.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like the forum brain didn't like your photos