How To replace blower motor resistor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got the info on how to do this from this thread:
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?1026-How-to-Replace-Blower-Motor-Resistor

But that thread doesn't have any pics so I figured I'd do a write up that included pics since some are more visual people.

This is to fix the issue of the HVAC controls only working on select fan speeds (if at all). So let's get to the steps and the pics.

1. Clean out glovebox
You must be registered for see images attach

2. Remove glove box

3. Locate the resistor on top near the back.

4. Use a flat blade screwdriver to GENTLY get the connection disconnected from the old resistor

5. There are two 7mm screws holding the resistor down. Unscrew those. It also helps to swing that relay out of the way that's on the left

6. Work out the old resistor then reverse the process. It's not hard but does take some patience

Old vs new

Last edited:

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
I see you have a 97+ dash. Let me tell you, this job is a real PITA on the 95-96 dash since you don't have as much room above the glovebox without the passenger airbag.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

joedee

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good write up on both threads. Pictures do help alot another book mark for when I do summer repairs

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, this POS already needs to be replaced again :banghead:

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Make sure it didn't get bent up making the wires touch during installation. My blower didn't work when I got my truck(i can't remember if it was all speeds or if it worked at all) when I took the resistor out, it was bent and shorting, so I straightened it out and put it back, and it's been good since then a year+ ago.