how to demold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
From my experience the only way is to: 1st heat up the molding then gently and slowly pry it off. 2nd use 3m etaser wheel as stated. 3rd wipe with 3m adhesive remover. 4th cut and Polish with wool pad. Even after all this my 300,000 mile paint was yellowed under the trim. After time out in the sun and multiple washes it faded away.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If you are using a heat gun, you can heat it up quite a bit, but, the rule I was taught was...If it's too hot to touch, it's too hot.
Heat the molding till it's fairly hot, then let it sit for a minute or two, to let the heat soak into the molding and soften that glue up. Being black, the molding will retain a lot of the heat. Just heating up the outer surface will not soften the glue.
It takes a lot of heat to burn paint. Think how hot that it gets just sitting in the sun on a sunny day. The glue on the molding will soften up before the paint burns.
Keep the heat gun moving. Circular motions, working the length of it. As you move down the length, keep going back some, in order to keep the part that you just heated warm.
Watch what you're doing as you do this. Don't get distracted, because if you look away, the heat gun will stop moving. Held in one spot for too long WILL cause things to get burnt.
I've seen people (employees!) burn brand new conv. tops & headliners with just a moment of inattention.

Last edited: