how to demold?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this may be a stupid question but im going to start to demold my truck and id like to know how you guys do it! is there any tricks of the trade etc

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use a heat gun or hair dryer to heat the glue holding the molding on. Then move fishing line up and down behind the molding and it will eventually come off. Then take goo gone to get the residual glue off the body

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
you may need to purchase an eraser wheel for the left over glue.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You'll hear a few different methods, but the BEST method hands down only requires two tools.

High Test fishing line, and a 3M Eraser wheel.

Saw back and forth with the fishing line to cut the molding off of the tape and pull it off of the truck. After that, go to town with the eraser wheel. This is by far the easiest way to get the job done. A heat gun and adhesive remover will take a lot more time an effort.

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
You'll hear a few different methods, but the BEST method hands down only requires two tools.

High Test fishing line, and a 3M Eraser wheel.

Saw back and forth with the fishing line to cut the molding off of the tape and pull it off of the truck. After that, go to town with the eraser wheel. This is by far the easiest way to get the job done. A heat gun and adhesive remover will take a lot more time an effort.

You must be registered for see images attach

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Not to mention that goof off or similar can discolor the paint if left on too long. Eraser wheel FTMFW :deal:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Don't even need the fishing line. I start the edge of the molding with a plastic putty knife; once it's away from the body just grab it with vise grips and keep pulling. Eraser wheel FTW on the adhesive that remains.

Read the simple eraser wheel instructions VERY closely. 3M has a max speed of like 2000 RPM I think. Any more and you'll damage paint. Not in the instructions but stop every now and then to let the wheel cool off and you take a break. It doesn't work as well as it heats up.

One wheel did the whole truck with plenty leftover for other small projects. I pulled the tailgate badge off without the need for the wheel; I just worked slowly and none of the tape stuck to the paint.

Richard

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
Not to mention that goof off or similar can discolor the paint if left on too long. Eraser wheel FTMFW :deal:

...and this ↑ The only thing that should be used to remove adhesives from paint are prepsols (alcohol, wax/grease remover/etc). If you're gonna do your whole truck you might want to consider going to a paint shop and getting a quart of PPG DX440, just don't get it on any plastics. They'll be able to give you some other cheap wax/grease remover instead of PPG if you don't wanna pay like $40 for a quart, just stay away from Painter's Pride.

EDIT: The only problem with simply pulling the molding off after it's started is with our trucks you might pull a huge chunk of paint off, works fine with newer vehicles though.

jt1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
now im leary of the paint ripping off with the molding haha or burning up the paint... but it does sound pretty straight forward..sounds like its best to do it on a hot day