How hot does your truck run w/ ac on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
I'm not sure the fan shroud should have too much effect. The fan shrouds on the GMT400 don't seem to be nearly as effective as most stock electric fan setups (on other vehicle models). Fan shrouds in general on mechanical setups just don't seem to be engineered nearly as well as their electrical cousins.

Personally I haven't noticed any difference on the dash temp gauge since I removed the shrouds on my 2500

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
without the shroud the mechanical fan draws from around it's edges instead of through the whole radiator face.

If I even thought about towing my 9000lb travel trailer without he shroud it will overheat lickety split....and it did the day i had it apart and had to tow the trailer across town for dealer work....

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I broke the sides on my shroud last summer removing it to change the water pump, I only had the lower section on and drove to the junkyard to pick up another one and it was getting pretty hot. No air and on a 90* day. Put the new one on and it dropped right back to the 200 mark.

Like Great White said, the shroud is there to direct air through the radiator.

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I've been driving it the last couple days and its been hitting around the 200 mark, but before it would stay cooler. It's kinda hard to get an accurate reading w/ the moon gauges though.

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I broke the sides on my shroud last summer removing it to change the water pump, I only had the lower section on and drove to the junkyard to pick up another one and it was getting pretty hot. No air and on a 90* day. Put the new one on and it dropped right back to the 200 mark.

Like Great White said, the shroud is there to direct air through the radiator.

I am having a pain in the ass trying to find a 34" shroud. Which models should I be looking for 34" shrouds?

94blu1500

Rocky Hock Offroad
Reaction score
Most suburbans had them and a lot of higher package trucks. Most base model work trucks came with the smaller radiator.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I have the smaller shroud, don't know the size, but it was an easy find. I would imagine the larger one would probably be on trucks that had a factory towing package. Look for a truck with an oil cooler and a trailer hitch receiver.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Ok maybe it has more effect than I thought, I've only had the shroud off for a few weeks and haven't had to tow anything in that time period

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No real change in my '93 with R12. If I let it idle for 45 minutes or so on a real hot (90+*) day, it'll go just a tick past 210, but once I start moving it drops back down to 205.

kemo sabe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No real change in my '93 with R12. If I let it idle for 45 minutes or so on a real hot (90+*) day, it'll go just a tick past 210, but once I start moving it drops back down to 205.

That's about how mine was running, but it used to run cooler. Also the ac isn't blowing real cool anymore. Do you guys use those DIY recharging coolants or have someone at a dealer or whatever do it?