how do I..... Aftermarket headunit & factory dimmer combined?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blazeone

Reaction score
i just installed a custom floor console and headunit in a 1990 RCLB C2500 Silverado.

I would like to keep the factory Radio CLOCK and all the dash lights associated with the factory radio illuminated while still having the aftermarket headunit plugged into the factory harness.

Is this possible ?

Will I blow circuits/ fuses if I splice into the harness ?

Here the truck and the new console.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why not just put a dash pocket where the factory radio is? I'm sure the aftermarket unit has it's own clock...

Blazeone

Reaction score
That would be the obvious solution. However I need to keep it stock in order to qualify for "collector " plates in my area. Most modifications are not permitted. So I need to have the console there to add a headunit, gauges and rocker switch panel in future.

I just want the dash to look stock, it looks odd with all those buttons and no back lights.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man, that is some BS. No such laws here for classic plates. I can't imagine why they'd even worry about little stuff like that.

You should be able to keep the fatory unit powered and dimmable, but I'd disconnect all the speaker wires from the factory harness completely and terminate all the ends.

EDIT - Also, I'd probably run new speaker/power wire if I were you. Screw splicing into the factory stuff if you're trying to keep both units operational. Running new wiring for everything on the aftermarket unit will take more time, but will make it exponentially easier to remove the aftermarket stuff down the road without confusing anyone.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
You can get another harness for the radio from a savage yard and connect the power wire, battery (Clock and radio memory) and the dimmer switch and ground wires only. You can tie them into the harness you made for the new radio that plugs into the trucks main harness. That will give you what you want.

Blazeone

Reaction score
Thanks !

i will get another factory plug and just hook up the appropriate wires for what I want back onto factory power harness.
Shouldn't blow any fuses lol