hit puddle truck loses power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95z71performer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently had an issue where I hit a puddle (yes it was an accident) and my truck started to lose power and pick up if I didn't feather the gas a little and I've been told it could be a sensor because it only does this when it's in overdrive and more then a light mist of water is coming up at a time

:help:

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Probably sucked some water through the intake. How big of a "puddle"... Also the belt could have slipped temp loss of alternator and pwr steering could have felt like power loss

Adam

Blaine Davies

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably sucked some water through the intake. How big of a "puddle"... Also the belt could have slipped temp loss of alternator and pwr steering could have felt like power loss

Adam

Same here, water could have gotten up into the intake, if I'm not mistaken '95 is still TBI so temporarily soaking the MAF Sensor is ruled out. Could definitely be belt slippage too, if you have a worn out tensioner pulley, belt slippage is a high possibility. Throttle body doesn't have a whole lot of protection under the hood with the stock air cleaner, less if you have an aftermarket one. Try to stay away from bigger puddles, water isn't very compressible in general, let alone inside a combustion chamber! I've seen multiple people hydro-lock a motor from slamming their truck into a puddle big enough to drown in, and it ain't pretty in the slightest! Seen two 4Runners blow a hole through the side of the block from bending a con-rod. Seen a 79 Chev with a 350 do the same thing.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
It's either your distributor cap or a failing plug. It is common on the Vortec's.

I just had the same problem with mine. It ended up being my number 2 spark plug that was bad. I found it by disconnecting he spark plugs one at a time from the dist while idling in park and seeing which one was not getting a constant spark. The number 2 ended up having a cracked insulator and was shorting out. I ended up replacing all of the junk E3's and replaced them with AC Delco 14's. I just revived 40 horses!

The reason you notice it in OD is because the TCC is locked up and giving you a solid connection to the engine where feathering the engine or hitting the brakes disconnects the TCC and you loose most of the vibration in the transmission fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Just noticed that the truck in mention is a 95. It might not be the dist cap then, but it still could be a bad plug. I have seen that problem an quite a few different vehicles, but it is usually related to aftermarket or extremely old plugs ( over 150k). Can't hurt to check since a set of 8 is only $40 shipped from RockAuto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95z71performer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
already have new plugs and the dist cap is also new same with rotor and wires the intake still isn't ruled out but the puddle was no bigger then 5 inches deep and 4 feet long