High output Alternator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello this is my first post. I have a 1999 Crew Cab k2500 and I was wondering if I will need a bigger alternator. I already have led blinkers and new head light bulbs, pioneer radio, sound ordinance 100w amp, 2 10inch kicker subs, a 100watt PA system and have 4 led 18watt pods I plan on adding on my ranch hand and also plan on adding 4 more kc lights long range. I know this must draw a lot but with out the last lights I listed, but i have no visible power shortage. I also plan to add a headache rack with led brake and turn signals in the near future and clearance/ cab lights. What can I say, I like lights :D

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To be honest you're probably fine until you add the 4 KC aux lights (Why?? The factory light setup is plenty bright with the 4-hi mod). LEDs will draw much less power than your factory turn signals, brake lights etc. The radio and subs with 100W amp is basically nothing, same with the PA. I run more power to my interior mid/high speakers than both of those combined. Without the KC lights (Those will add significant amperage draw, somewhere around 8A per light if you use the 100W bulbs) you're looking at roughly 20A of accessories maximum. Probably less. I doubt your factory alternator will have any trouble.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Alright thanks for the quick response. And I just really like the kc lights look and I think it would look good on my ranch hand bumper.

Reaction score
To be honest you're probably fine until you add the 4 KC aux lights (Why?? The factory light setup is plenty bright with the 4-hi mod). LEDs will draw much less power than your factory turn signals, brake lights etc. The radio and subs with 100W amp is basically nothing, same with the PA. I run more power to my interior mid/high speakers than both of those combined. Without the KC lights (Those will add significant amperage draw, somewhere around 8A per light if you use the 100W bulbs) you're looking at roughly 20A of accessories maximum. Probably less. I doubt your factory alternator will have any trouble.

Alright thanks for the quick response. And I just really like the kc lights look and I think it would look good on my ranch hand bumper.