High output alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trill

Reaction score
My yellow top that was 5 years old took a crap yesterday.. I was able to jump the truck off and it run for a little while but when I turned on the compressors it would run for a couple mins and die.. Had the yellow top tested and it was bad.. Bought a red top today and put it in.. The voltage gauge on the dash shows it to be about 10 or 12 volts while it is running. I took the alternator thats on it off and brought it to get tested which they said it passed all test and was still good.. I was thinking about swapping it out for a high output alternator.. What would be a good brand alternator to pick up?

smurfcivic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on what u wanta spend. I wish I'd got a 200 instead of my 150. But since I installed the smaller pulley it charges alot better

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Well we don't know what year or any specs on your truck but ad244 would be best upograde.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
You can go to autozone and get the 140amp. all you need to do is get a bigger belt.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you actually have it tested at a starter/alternator shop? OR let autozone do enny meeny minny moo on it with there machine?

Check all ground and ensure there are good and clean, maybe do the Big 3 upgrade, and if you still have your old yellow top, drop it upside down in the grass real softly a few times and leave it upside down for a day or so and see if it works again, have heard and read alot do that and they work again, the battery is a seperate cell battery and they have gel in them.