High oil pressure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88 k2500 Alex

Reaction score
Good morning all, I've got a 1989 K2500 I bought 3 years ago and it's been a solid running truck I've been happy with. It's always had a small leak in the oil adapter seal. Last week I replaced it. After replacing it I noticed my oil pressure running higher. The gauge goes to 60 psi and it will max out when in driving 60 to 65mph before the engine reaches temp then drops back a little after the Thermostat opens. I run 10w30 like the manual says, I just changed the oil and add a qt of Lucas stabilizer. Is it bad to run the truck at/over the 60psi?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
:lol: My V6 truck will idle at just under 80psi on cold starts. I wouldn't worry about it. Better than the alternative, that's for sure.

NotARealK2500

This'll be my last GMT400, I swear!
Reaction score
Had a problem like that on my Toyota with a stick oil pressure relief valve, but I'm not aware that that's an issue with most SBCs.

60psi is well within normal operating range outside of idle. Very general rule of thumb is 22psi+10psi per every 1000 rpm.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
GM's gauges are not exactly what I would call accurate. But I run around 60 psi most of the time, it will drop to about 30 at idle when warm. Hasn't blown out gaskets or spun a bearing, so I think it is fine

88 k2500 Alex

Reaction score
GM's gauges are not exactly what I would call accurate. But I run around 60 psi most of the time, it will drop to about 30 at idle when warm. Hasn't blown out gaskets or spun a bearing, so I think it is fine

Thank you for the feed back, you've reinforced my original thoughts. I've never had an old truck have such high oil pressure and when it went past the top end of the gauge it had me concerned. I'd read on another forum about a plugged filter, but mine is new, another mentioned the stuck relief valve but in that case the gauge pegged out and stayed there and with my pressure dropping some after warm up I figured that wasn't the case.