Hiccup / Shuddering - 2000 Tahoe Limited

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheMattBe

Reaction score
Hello all!
2000 Tahoe Limited, 110K miles. The vehicle is in excellent mechanical & physical shape, lived most of its life in Arizona, Texas, & SoCal (no rust).
A few hundred miles after upgrading the fuel system to MFI, the vehicle began to exhibit a shuddering / hiccup symptom. In my best words, it feels similar to a sudden clunk/hitting a large road joint/going from R to D with a sloppy old transmission with bad U-Joints. It only began happening in OD, and diagnostics & feel were VERY convincing to a bad torque converter.
After a new converter from TCI, along with a remanufactured 4L60E from GM (for good measure), nothing really changed. The intermittent clunk is slowly progressing worse, now happening outside of OD, and increasing in occurrence from approx. 1 clunk in 5 minutes, to an occasional 3-5 clunks per minute, but extremely random and unpredictable, with sometimes no clunks.
With no stored DTCs, no CEL/SES, and seemingly no indication of any fault by the PCM, I'm at a loss. Before I data-log a couple drives and dig into the data, are there any suggestions on what to look for?

The Tahoe has:
-110K miles
-~8mo. old MFI upgrade system
-New fuel filter
-New TCI lockup converter, stock stall speed
-Remanufactured 4L60E by GM
-Brand new ACDelco Dexron VI fluid
-Very good mechanical shape, no rust, well-maintained
-Battery connections are good, recently remanufactured ACDelco alternator
-Once again, NO stored DTCs, no CEL/SES, and no real indication from the onboard diagnostics of any problem

Specifically, are there any PIDs I should pay attention to & log, any specific conditions I should check (Open/Closed loop, gear, etc), or any general advice before I dig into this? It could just be a coincidence that this started happening a few hundred miles after the MFI install, but could it be MFI related (bad injector, poor connection somewhere)? There is no specific budget for this fix, but I don't want to throw parts at it and hope for a fix.

Thank you in advance, and picture for attention!
You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Intermittent issues like this are going to difficult. You need to "catch it on the act," meaning you have to have your diagnostics tool when it happens....

At the minimum look for fuel trims, both long term and short term is what I would look at.

What is the story with MPFI? Was that done to try to fix the issue? Have you checked fuel pressure? Get an extension hooked it and see what pressure is driving around.

Let me think about other possible causes, but best bet it scan tool with live data and take it for a spin and look at ALL parameters and see if any go out of range.