Hesitation during acceleration and low rpms at cold startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
:beatdeadhorse5:
This topic is all too often heard but I can't find out the problem with my truck and I dont want to go about spending money that I didnt need to.
Now the problem:

About 4 months ago when I started the truck cold, it would idle around 1500-1600 rpms. And from that time to now it went down to 1000-1100 rpms cold.
When idling the engine would almost miss and the rpms would drop to 450-500 rpms then raise to 800 rpms and then back down to about 650. This would happen about 6 to 8 times a minute.
During acceleration: if it is a VERY slow acceleration, nothing happens and it runs fine. But if I drive it like I normally do it will shudder for a split second (Shaking the engine and the truck) and then run fine. after about 800rpms.

this ONLY happens when the truck is warm. When it is cold, it runs like a champ.

and my mileage took a HUGE dip when I changed the plugs. I went from (the day I bought it) about 14 city. to about (4 to 6 months ago) 10mpg. and that of today where it is stupid. I can get about MAYBE 100 miles to half a tank.

Now here is the funky part; If I drive it nicely that crap happens. But If I drive it like its stolen it runs just about perfect at idle and acceleration.

What the heck could this be? I'll see if I can post a video or something cause this is annoying and I want to start driving my baby again. I hate my malibu.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel filter I would say is about 5 months old. Around that time frame anyway.
And I havent checked that yet. Those may be a bit older. Say around a few years. I will have to check.
Button? I haven't heard that term used before. What is that?

92GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry had a few too many beers lol. Dizzy cap and rotor button. If any corrosion, replace with ones with brass terminals.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Same problem here....

If trucks at operating temp, and I turn it OFF then back ON. It will drive like a dream. Wait a few minutes, and it'll jerk sputter and such when you try to drive 'nicely'

Drive like you stole it.. and she'll perform like a brand new machine.

1996k1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll take a look at ignition parts and replace them if I need to. But otherwise I guess I'll dive it like I stole it. Its more fun anyways :)