Hesitating C1500 Only at Highway Speeds and Under Load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gatorboy

You can keep your import.
Reaction score
Couldn't reach the stupid thing with a regular wrench, I'll try something else. I'll try using my ratchet with a wobble extension if I can find the extension.

Gatorboy

Reaction score
I didn't pull the distributor, but I did set the timing. It was retarded by over 15 degrees! I can't believe it still ran ok. Now it seems to run real smoothly.

Gatorboy

Reaction score
I know. I just can not believe it was that far off and running as good as it was.

Gatorboy

Reaction score
How hard is it to do on a TBI? Never done it, don't have a light.
If I write all this out I deserve some rep lol :rofl:

It is actually really easy. I'd recommend buying an old chrome craftsman light from ebay. They are very accurate and inexpensive. Unless of course you have a friend with one or you want to drive to TN to have me do it for you.

Keep in mind this doesn't work for anything 96+
1) Locate the dampener and you'll see a line grooved into it. Fill that line with white chalk, crayon, or paint.
2) Let the truck idle to operating temperature then shut it off.
3) (This is crucial or it will not time right) Locate a tan wire with a black stripe by the relay cover on the passenger side firewall (88-94) and or behind the glove box (95). Unplug it. The check engine light will come on once the engine is turned back on, it's normal.
4) Hook the timing light clamp to the #1 spark plug wire as close to the distributor as possible.
5) Hook the electrical clamps to the battery.
6) MAKE SURE all timing light cords are routed no where near the fan or belt.
7) Loosen the distributor hold down clamp just enough to be able to turn it.
8) Turn on the truck on and point the timing light at the dampener and degree plate (Below and to the left of the alternator)
9) Turn the distributor until the white line you marked earlier lines up with the plate where it says 0 degrees.
10) Shut the engine off, tighten the distributor clamp tight again, check the timing one more time to make sure you didn't knock it off when you tightened the distributor back down. Shut it off. Plug in the tan wire back and you should have a nice smooth running truck again.

This is all coming straight from personal experience. It's like a 20 minute job the first time to figure everything out and like a 5 minute job every time after that.