Help with rear Ride Quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
So I brought this up in my build thread, but thought I'd post this here to as I'd really like to start addressing it asap.

The rear of my truck rides like it's on bricks, with no shocks and no springs - no exaggeration. This is both prior to and after the lift, and all I'm currently running is a block. The current shocks are superlift superrides by bilstein, and it was yellow bilsteins prior.

The rear springs are a 5 leaf (4/1), which appears to be standard for suburbans from what I've researched. Unless they are a heavier duty spring (PO used it for hauling for a liquidation company) - but I don't know how you would tell that. The only other conclusion I could come to is it could be the leaf spring bushings or body bushings, but I don't know if those would cause the severity of the ride on my truck.

Any input or suggestions are much appreciated.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bushings/hangers can play a role in ride, if the bushings are gone, or the whole deal is locked up solid. That usually happens with trucks up north exposed to salt. On a southern truck, I doubt that would happen. I have the same Bilstein shocks on my truck with the Superlift kit. That extra leaf out back could be the reason why its riding to harsh. Try a 4 leaf (3/1).

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, just gotta find a rear 4 leaf that fits. Maybe once the snow clears, I'll look into replacing the bushings, just because.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have some AAL's I would to add with a smaller block. The 4 leaf (3/1) on my truck rides decent, but not firm enough for me. Especially when I'm towing or hauling. I'm kind of in the opposite situation you are. I think you'll like a 4 leaf better than a 5 though.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the weight difference in the rear between a truck and a burb must be the difference. I don't mind firm, front is nice and firm but comfortable. The rear is just horrible - like riding on steel, square, wheels.

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put Sulastic shackles in the rear of mine and it definitely helps the ride quality

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
My opinion, take it or leave it. Your leaf spring packs are shot. PO used the truck to haul, and wore them out.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
My opinion, take it or leave it. Your leaf spring packs are shot. PO used the truck to haul, and wore them out.

I've considered that to, and just FYI - always appreciate your input Jimmy. Once I am moved into my new place, the rear leafs are coming off and either having bushings replaced, or replacing the leafs all together if I find they are shot.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Hahaha...thanks, man. Just so you know (this is why I lol'd), Jimmy is my truck (Jimmy C, actually). I'm Jake. It's no big deal to me, but I'm sure if you want to address me by my real name, you'd like to use the right name.

My middle son named my truck the day I drove it home. He was 4 at the time, and walked up to the front of it, saw the red "GMC" in the grill and said, "What's his name...Jimmy C?" I said, "Yup, that's Jimmy C", and it stuck. I love that story.

I have the same springs you do, and my truck has a few years on yours, but mine wasn't ever used as a hauling workhorse. That's why I say worn out springs.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Hahaha...thanks, man. Just so you know (this is why I lol'd), Jimmy is my truck (Jimmy C, actually). I'm Jake. It's no big deal to me, but I'm sure if you want to address me by my real name, you'd like to use the right name.

My middle son named my truck the day I drove it home. He was 4 at the time, and walked up to the front of it, saw the red "GMC" in the grill and said, "What's his name...Jimmy C?" I said, "Yup, that's Jimmy C", and it stuck. I love that story.

I have the same springs you do, and my truck has a few years on yours, but mine wasn't ever used as a hauling workhorse. That's why I say worn out springs.

Haha, no ****.. I feel like a jackass now. I've seen you refer to yourself (Now I realize you were talking about your truck), on many forums - so I made the assumption it was Jimmy :doh2:.